Is this the infamous E46 window regulator problem?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by airbrat, May 17, 2007.

1. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

OK, this is weird. From what I've read in regards to the regulator problem there never was any hesitation w/ my window going up or down and I never heard any weird noises (i.e., cracking, crunching, etc...)

Last night I was driving on the fwy when I thought I heard wind noise. I thought my driver side window wasn't all the way up so I pulled up on the window switch but instead of going up the window began to go down. WTF? I pulled on the window switch again and this time the window stopped halfway. I pulled on the window switch for the 3rd time only to have the window go completely all the way down. After that it was dead. No matter what I did nothing worked. I had to cruise the rest of the way on the fwy w/ my window down. Thank gawd the weather has been beautiful.

So is this regulator problem or something completely different? I forgot to mention if I put my ear to the driver door and pull the window switch I can hear a distinct click but thats it. I drive a '01 330ci.

Thanks for any help/tips. :x:

2. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Yep sounds like you need a new regulator.

3. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

4. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

fuckin $180 dealer only part :wtc:

5. inott

inott Chill or be Chilled

three of four regulators have gone out on my e46.

6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Good. Now you know which window not to use. ;)

7. inott

inott Chill or be Chilled

i know...the front passenger one still is holding, but everytime i roll it up/down i always stick my ear out praying not to hear the infamous click-clack noise.

8. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

Sounds like the problem with the regualtors in the 1999-2002 VWs... The clips that the cable attaches to are plastic, and they bust. When they fail it sounds like a glass cutter going across glass, then the window falls down into the door. My 99.5 Jetta has had 5 window regualtors installed... on the front doors :( But, at least they fixed the problem in 2003 and install the fix for free!

-Jason

9. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

That sucks. If it were one of the rears you could hit the lock switch and tape over the front button.

Do you have the money to just replace it now?

It's an easy job, so if you have any tools and a Saturday afternoon you could just buy a new regulator and put it in this weekend.

10. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

Update:

It's not the regulator. It was the actual switch (located in the center console) that was bad. It was only a $54 part at the stealership w00t! Only took a whopping 2 min to replace.