SRS Is this the first step to becoming "A Man"?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shadowoperative, Sep 29, 2009.

1. shadowoperative

shadowoperative Rawest asian alive, so raw they call me sashimi.

Recently my dad just moved back to Laos to live with his new wife, leaving me and my mom behind. This has been the third time or fourth time that hes done this and everytime somehow he racks up alot of debt. We forclosed our house recently too and had to move twice. So my mom has gotten fed up and we both moved away from him since he went back this fourth time. She really needed to leave the first time but she loved him, and still she becomes upset every so often. Yet she still is such a great mom and is always happy and she always "Mothers" me and treats me as a kid but i don't want that anymore I wanna take responsibility and start helping my mom out with bills the apartment everything. But it's a real bitch...i'm going through jobs now trying to get more money and i'm trying to go through the local CC for criminal justice or IT programming. I mean seeing her sad kinda fucks me up too and I hate living like this, is there a way to make it easier?

2. johan

johan Active Member

You can best help her out by kicking ass in school and nailing an excellent career, so she doesn't have to add you to her list of worries.

A successful son is every mother's dream.

Far more than you just "getting by" and contributing a few bucks here and there for rent, groceries, mundane stuff of life.

Really make something of yourself. Make her proud of you.

3. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Its true, I make almost as much money as my parents. They are 50 and I'm 21 and my mother can't stop telling everyone how much I make and how happy and proud she is. She as well is a great mother but it makes her happy that I have a great career and won't have money worries they do. She hates to take money from me too.

4. Daria

Daria New Member

I agree that you should focus on your studies 100%. If you find that you are doing your absolute best in school and you still have some free time on your hands, get a part-time job and help her out with groceries/bills, etc.

After you get a stable career, you will be able to help her with much more.

5. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

:hug: Sorry for your troubles. Your Mom is trying to keep your life as normal and as loving as possible and to not burden you with adult issues. The previous advice here is right on target. I hope you will listen to it. Good luck.

6. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Being (and taking) responsible(ity) makes you a man. That and two testicles, one X and one Y chromosome. Ha! I made a joke -- but seriously, it's the truth. Responsibility, own it.

Be your own man -- unlike your father, and just take care of yourself and those you love. Make sure you're educated, happy, respectful and giving and you'll make everyone around you better for it.

7. Daria

Daria New Member

From what the TS posted, this seems to be true, and I commend his Mom on doing this. Having a wonderful, selfless mother like her is a blessing.

8. teo

teo . => ? => !

Your mom would be wise to start putting financial things in her own name. Your dad might be a fuckup but she can reduce the amount of pain and suffering he causes her (and you too) by separating his finances from hers. At least then the damage is purely emotional. Not that that's ever a great thing, but emotional damage generally won't put you on the streets when your dad fails to uphold his end of the mortgage (for example).