SRS Is this S.A.D?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by machazure, Apr 7, 2005.

1. machazure

machazure New Member

I think I may have Social Anxiety Disorder...

Since around 9th grade everyone referred to me as being shy and not talking, etc. I never went to any high school functions like dances or football games because I told myself they were pointless and no fun. I never had a girlfriend during high school.

I have a few friends who I am pretty close with and am fairly comfortable around. When I started college I was ready to start changing things but I still get really anxious about most things. I will hardly ever talk out in class or go to lunch with people, etc.

I have had two girlfriends while in college...one I met online. The other I was introduced to through a friend and I got kind of an inside connection and knew how she felt about me. I find it really hard to talk to people I dont know and try to avoid situations that are purely for social interaction.

It a lot of times interferes with studying and other things because I become preoccupied with thoughts of getting a phone call or doing something that night where I can not focus on studying and as such my grades have been dropping. And during the times I had a girlfriend it really sucked...I felt happy but they were all I could think about- like when I was going to see them next, talk to them next, etc- to the point its almost all I did.

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

You're just very insecure. I used to be like that. It takes a long time to change because you're so used to being a certain way. The only way to do it is drill it. Go to every social thing you can. Find some friends to go with you party hunting on the weekends or go to the bars. It's pretty easy to be comfortable around drunk people because they don't care what you say and are more friendly. Force yourself to talk to people. It's a really great feeling when you're able to initiate a good conversation with a stranger. I still have problems socially with people I don't know, but I've also made a ton more friends. It used to be my girlfriend was my only friend.

3. *Ambiorix*

*Ambiorix* New Member

honestly college parties are great places to flex your social muscles. You will find people like yourself at these places most times. Also like previously stated, most everyone will be drunk and if you have drank a little to lose your anxiety you will find its fun to just chill out and laugh at whatevers going on. Join somoen in a beer pong match or beirut game, play cards, darts or just comment on the game when it comes to you. ITs the little steps that get you going and more comfortable.

Its a start at least.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I do think you likely have S.A.D. Do you ever start sweating or feeling very anxious or maybe a little panicky when you are in a large group with people you don't know? How about at parties? If you do, then you very well may have S.A.D. Why not go to a psychologist to have it diagnosed for certain or not? It can't hurt, especially if you have a PPO. I agree with guestDJ about forcing yourself to go to social functions like parties, and maybe drink a little (being safe of course) to help yourself out.