TAT Is this possible? v. electronic implants

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by SilverWyrm, Dec 5, 2006.

1. SilverWyrm

SilverWyrm New Member

First of all: This is my first venture into posting on this forum, so if you body mods crew have any strange customs I'm not aware of.. sorry..

Anyway..

I'm going into electrical/computer engineering, and body mods have always fascinated me. I've often thought it would be cool to have a processor socket implanted into the surface of my arm, or have an audio wire running under my skin from my waist to my neck so I could plug my earphones in right at my neck..

The obvious question is infection, but, baring that, I'm worried that the processor socket for example especially would be easy to catch on something and tear out..
    Before that.. how would a wound even heal around something that large?

I know this is way out of left field.. just figured you guys might know something..

2. Ratstink

Ratstink Ink & Iron

you got me there.

what would a processor socket do?

3. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

probably play mp3's, im guessing he means an audio jack with a built in mp3 player in his arm or stomach. its sounds like some sci fi type shit. but pretty cool nonetheless. its possible id imagine. just finding some kind of material that wont deteriorate over time that will poison you, and find something that can withstand the bodies corrosiveness

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Shannon @ Bmezine.com had magnets implanted in his fingertips for a while; they eventually rejected. You might look at his articles about that on the website, it's a similar type of situation.

5. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

done...

I've actually thought of this exact thing. it could be done easily. I work for a company that makes medical tubing and all kinds of different biocompatible plastics. what you'd need to do coat the wires with a biocompatible synthetic rubber. where the jacks came out of your skin you would need a porous material that would allow for tissue ingrowth (otherwise it would be a big open wound going through you). there are a few different ways you could go about this. a bead blasted titanium fitting would work well but may be expensive to make. a porous foam made out of the same material would work very well for this but may not be so strong until the matrix had fully filled with your flesh (eww). ether way it would not be hard if all you wanted was the wire protruding from your skin. it would also be easily removable....hell lemme know if you need any tubing :eek5:

6. Two toys

Two toys New Member

this stuff is alll good in theory.

making it happen is much more difficult than typing it out.

i've gone into long discussions with my piercer about these types of things, and while possible they would take quite a bit of testing etc to perfect, I'm talking atleast a year of testing.

7. SilverWyrm

SilverWyrm New Member

This isn't something I'm really serious about doing, at least not in this point of my life.. Just throwing ideas around at the moment.

The processor socket wouldn't do anything.. it'd just be ornamentation..

8. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

That would be very cool. But then in 1 year you are outdated and behind the technology :eek4::eek4::eek4:

9. hideon9

hideon9 The plane will take off.

Comp. Eng. Crew :h5:

I can see the processor socket being pretty difficult or impossible to do, due to the large size. It would need to be placed in an area that was relatively flat and didn't distort much with movement. It would also require cutting away a sizeable section of skin. The plastic may also cause problems if it deteriorates over time.

Something like a parallel port or an ethernet jack would probably be alot more feasible due to the smaller area needed. Could make a mockup of one out of stainless steel and have it put in as a transdermal implant. In the case of a parallel port, I could even see it being a stainless steel piece that was attached to a surface bar, rather than an implant. The places for screws on the ends could thread on to the bar.

The audio wires under the skin are probably plausible. It would probably require inserting some kind of biocompatible tube as a sheath and healing that. Drainage may be a problem with such a long "piercing". Unless the tube was extremely thin there would probably be problems with it rejecting and growing out of the skin over time. If it did actually heal well enough to be usable I would be concerned about heat buildup from the wire in the tube. I'd imagine a silicone tube melting under your skin would not be very pleasant.

Here's some reading that you might find interesting:
    http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Category:Implants
    http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Surface_Bar

10. hideon9

"omg, I'm obsolete!" :rofl:

11. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

what I was suggesting was not really a piercing, I think that you couldn’t ever heal a piercing that long. what you would have to do is implant the wire under the skin then use a porous material at the exit points of the wire which would cause tissue ingrowths just at the exit to seal off the wound (like a normal transdermal implant). I think trying to grow a fistula over a few inches long is impossible.

The company I work for makes neuromodulation leads that go directly into the spine and uses similar technology.

12. hideon9

Would there not be a possibility of rejection or something similar even with that method though? It just seems like something of that length would cause upwards pressure, especially since the torso has such a range of movement. Maybe if you ran it straight up the spine then you would only have to allow for forward/backward bending, but then I would worry about spinal cord damage.

Would heat buildup also be a problem? It seems like a wire that long with no air circulation would heat up significantly.

13. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I've never really felt much heat from headphone cables, probably not. and there would be fluid circulation instead of air to keep them close to body temp, fluid works much better for cooling than air. rejection wouldnt be a problem with some of the smaller wires (headphone wires can be very small). I've seen some really big silicone and teflon implants that didnt grow out so I think a small wire would be fine (probably a 14g max). you might not even be able to see or feel it under the skin.