Is this how it's SUPPOSED to sound?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SolidRanger, Aug 16, 2009.

1. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

OK guys this is sort of a general question to car audio enthusiasts. It seems to me like every person with an aftermarket stereo with subs I meet is proud of how the subs shake and rattle the whole car. My friend is way into rap and I hate riding in his car because all I can hear is rattling windows and license plates. The thing is that he and almost every other car audio enthusiast I've ever met seems to think that this means they have a good system.

I don't understand why they like this. Isn't the whole reason they make stuff like Dynamat and sound deadening kits for license plates because rattling ruins the sound quality of the music?

Am I the out of touch on here?

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

people who are proud of their rattles, are idiots... a dead car is louder, and the sound is cleaner.

3. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

Well, there are 2 types of people out there, really. People into SPL (getting as loud as possible) and people into SQ (sound quality).

The younger people into SPL also usually don't properly tune their system. They treat the gain as a volume knob quite often and end up ruining their equipment. If they're proud of the rattles, they're idiots.

4. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

I want to listen to my music the way it was recorded. I use front speakers and two 8" subwoofers in my Accord. That's more than enough bass for me.

5. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

OK that helps break down. I'm definitely the type into SQ. My friend odviously is into SPL. Explains why I always thought my shitty stock Honda stereo sounded better than his "system".

I'm definitly gonna invest in a system of my own, focusing on sound quality of course. I listen to mostly metal so I want clarity and a nice deep chugga chugga sound.

6. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I have a nice component set up front with most of the volume and power, some coaxials in the back just to fill out the sound a little bit and and amp running everything. Crystal clear sound and I wouldn't have it any other way. I used to do the multiple subs and rattling cars, setting off car alarms and what not but now its all about the quality. It's all personal preference. I would recommend you get a 2 or 4 channel amp with a nice set of components and see how you like the sound. Fill out the rear with some coaxials if you want the sound to surround you a bit. Add a sub if necessary for your listening style. This is the path I took and by the time I added my rears, I was more than happy with my setup and have no intentions of adding any more.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

No, you are not alone. If anything you should hold your head high and scoff at those that think bass is everything.

I prefer sharp precise treble to nut-busting bass any day, it can sound almost surgical in its precision (thats the best way I can describe it anyway), where bass usually just sounds muddy and imprecise.

I love my Infinity Kappa system :big grin:

8. lawngn0me

I love my infinity kappas too. I just wish I had more midbass :(

9. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Not so much. Sound deadening in car is a hit and miss science when it comes to SPL. Myself and others have lost dB or moves our peak frequency greatly by adding deadening in the wrong place.

:rofl: at thinking it's just younger people who are into SPL. I'd say it's a 1:1 ratio <25's and >35's when I go to SPL shows.

Bass is everymuch a part of the music as tebbel. A song being played with out enough bass doesn't have the soul or rhythm the artist intended. Bass is what makes music....music. Bass is VERY important in metal. Where else are you going to get chest thumping kick drums? When it comes to metal there is nothing better than good bass with some heavy double kicks.

There is more to it than SPL/SQ. Many people like to say they are SQL (lol). I have 2 15's in my truck that will rattle your fillings out. I competed. Unless someone who's riding with me asks to do it, I'm usuually bumping ska/dub at a moderate level and I'm willing to bet my system sounds better (quality wise) than many people who post in this forum. My 15's are actually designed for sound quality. The thing is, sound quality is good reproduction 20Hz-20kHz. It takes a mighty sub to do 110+dB at 20Hz. Thus, when you switch a few things up you can really get the same exact system to bang in the 35-55Hz range.

There are also those who just like to be looked at as they are driving so they get the loudest subs they can. There are subs built for SQ and there are subs built for SPL. Subs built for SPL often sound dirty and farty (especially in SPL enclosures) but subs built for SQ can sound clean and smooth like the artist intended.

10. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Are those Infinity's 2 ohm?

11. lawngn0me

Please learn to read. I didn't say that it was only young people. I said it was younger people into car audio tend to be that way.

yes, they are 2 ohm. i've got them running off a kenwood amp.

12. twistid

so you're saying a car that rattles is louder, than a car that's been deadened... wow, i was not aware of this... thanks for setting me straight.

13. GammaRadiation

Please learn to differentiate statistics. a 1:1 ratio shows that there is no correlation between being a Basshead and age. :)

While deadening usually makes you louder, SPL is a weird thing. When I deadened the back wall of my truck, I gained. When I deadened the front doors of my truck, it did nothing. When I deadened the two half doors (4dr Mazda B-Series) I lost almost a full dB. All tests done on the term lab, engine off, battery charged. I gained 2dB on the windsheild simply by moving my seats around. When I first put the system in I was 144.5 on the Term Lab. I broke 149 with out changing the box through trial and error. I dont want people to think I'm saying all deadening will make you quieter because that simply isn't the case. There's a reason the hard core SPL guys fill their doors with fiberglass resin. :hsd:

Over all, for a street vehicle, maximum deadening is best simply because it increases sound quality and lowers the noise floor so even though you may lose a dB or two (no biggie on the street) it will sound louder to you because there is less ambient noise. Of course, when you goal is to be heard OUTSIDE the louder the better since the windows will be rolled down anyway.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  14. twistid

that's basically my point... a car that is dead will be louder, because at low volume you can actually hear the music over the road... also, you can actually turn the volume up more... since the sound will be cleaner at a higher volume, because the annoying rattles won't overpower the music.

we get some dumb people in the stereo shop, who think the rattles are like a badge of honor... because they think the rattles mean it's louder, than a car that doesn't rattle.

15. twistid

from my expirences on the age thing... it's usually teens and early 20's, that are proud of their rattles... after that, if they are still into being loud... they want it to sound good too.

16. GammaRadiation

Well when you install for them brake a few welds on the trunk lid and door skins and loosen the license plate screws a bit. Mad Loud!

Hey, as long as you're producing satisfied customers. :rofl:

17. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Yeah that's the principle behind the DynaMat. If you add mass to sheet metal body panels, you change the resonant frequency at which they vibrate.

I love their Xtreme product but it's pretty pricey.:wtc:

18. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

loosen up the tailights, screw pieces of backstrap to the bottom of the trunk (under the car), throw some random loose bolts/screws/etc, under the trunk panel (between the back glass and trunk lid). That will get you some rattles.

19. twistid

it's good, but cost too much.

as a rockford dealer, we use deadskin.

20. twistid

:rofl:

the beaters they usually drive, rattle enough on their own.

21. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Is the adhesive pretty good on that?

22. twistid

so far so good.

only failure so far... the kid did it himself, and did not clean up before applying.

23. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

What is this deadening you guys speak of?
    I have a B-3000 single cab with some infinity speakers, forgot which model I installed. They sound pretty good, however I am going to install a sub and a different headunit to take stress off the tweeters.
    I am more about listening to the quality of the music, rather than just listening to noise. I'd crack my window open if I wanted noise.
    I am curious as to what you mean by deadening. Do you guys add noise deadening materials to the car or what? And where do you get it?

24. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

If you have a pretty loud vehicle, many times sheetmetal body panels will rattle as well as plastic consoles and like.

Sound deading is an material with adhesive on one side that you apply to things like inner door panels, trunks, license plate frames, and anything else that rattles. By adding the extra mass, to the object, you lower the noise background, making the music better.

You can but it online at places like:

www.dynamat.com
    www.crutchfield .com
    www.woofersetc.com