is this enough power for 2 IDMAXs? & IDMAX setup in trunk

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by APMD, Nov 22, 2002.

1. APMD

APMD New Member

I bought a Kicker 800.2 as an impulse buy, and then I changed my mind. I was going to get solobarics, but figured to spend the extra money and get soms MAXs. So I am stuck here with this amp. Not knowing if anyone will buy it. It puts out 800x1 @ 4 ohms will be this enough to push 2 IDMAXs? I want to go with a bigger amp, but not sure if I can sell this one or not. But if I can, I will most liely go with the kicker 1200.1 (i have another kicker amp powering my mids/highs so I can stay consistent)

Also what do you guys think of this setup?

I have a 99 Accord coupe, I am going to take out the rear deck 6x9s to port the trunk into the cabin. You think I could point the subs upwards into the holes? or would it still sound better if I point them facing the rear of the trunk?

Last thing, I am going to get a set of id components, i will put about 180W to each side, yout hink this will be enough to hang with the subs? with no rear fill? thanks for any help.

2. 04

04 Guest

First, the power output by that amplifier will probably be enough, but you had better have a big box for the maxes in order to get them to excursion. I would also go with sealed.

As for porting the trunk, that wont do anything, you cant get the proper frequency, unless you turn your trunk into a 4th order bandpass of sorts..... And trust me, you don't want to do that, it would involve sealing off the entire trunk.

Just cut holes, no need for a vent.

That will be plenty of power foryour speakers, I would watch the volume knob with that kind of power.

3. APMD

APMD New Member

hey thanks for the reply, but what do you mean by "just cut holes?" Are you saying cut holes in my rear deck? I certainly dont want to do that. And what I was asking for the components was not if that was enough power for those, but just the one set of components would be enough to fill in what music the sub doesnt or will the sub over power my components.

thanks again

4. APMD

APMD New Member

also how big of a box are you talking? i was thinking around the lines of 1.4-1.5/sub

5. 04

04 Guest

Well, it depends on wheter your trunk is well insulated or not. If it isnt, you dont have to cut anything. If it is, you might. Do you drive a luxury car? Those are the ones that are well insulated.

The subwoofer will be able to overpower the components, but it doesnt have to be that way. You can set the volume knob correctly so that they are matched. It should be plenty of loud either way.

And adding more power to the front speakers will not solve a thing, you will be getting power compression probably at 100w or even before, you will start to see huge diminishing returns.

6. 04

04 Guest

I would go with NO SMALLER than 1.5 cubic feet of internal airspace per sub. If you can fit it, I would go with 2 cubes per. Especially if you want sound quality.

7. APMD

APMD New Member

I have a 99 accord coupe, not luxury i guess. I do plan on sound deadening the whole trunk area like a mutha and the rear deck as well.....

8. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

600 or so each driver is good im sure youll be fine with the power you have

9. APMD

APMD New Member

would i notice that much of a difference from running the subs with 400w/each rather than 600/each?

10. 04

04 Guest

It depends. Assuming a *true* 400w and 600w then at best your looking at 1.8dB.