Is this email legit (Yahoo! Mail Plus)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by offthahook, Nov 21, 2004.

1. offthahook

offthahook New Member

I get my share of Sun Trust, Citibank, PayPal, ebay "account verifications or you are suspended" crap. I'm probably due to renew my Yahoo! Plus account anyway. Any opinions on whether it's the real deal? It made it to the Inbox, not the Bulk...

X-Apparently-To: [email protected] via 206.190.38.51; Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:34:25 -0800
    Authentication-Results: mta139.mail.scd.yahoo.com from=cc.yahoo-inc.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    X-Originating-IP: [66.218.66.207]
    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    Received: from 66.218.66.207 (HELO n11.bulk.scd.yahoo.com) (66.218.66.207) by mta139.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:34:25 -0800
    Received: from [66.218.73.47] by n11.bulk.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 21 Nov 2004 00:33:43 -0000
    Received: from [66.218.69.29] by dev2.bulk.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 21 Nov 2004 00:33:43 -0000
    Received: from [127.0.0.1] by direct1.bulk.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 21 Nov 2004 00:33:43 -0000
    X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: direct
    X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 222472734-direct1
    X-Yahoo-MMID: 7PX_KwvLiNdhhKwiP41qCWYZ9Q2n [email protected]
    X-Yahoo-MMO: bg3
    X-Yahoo-Bounces: 1
    Return-Path: [email protected]
    Errors-To: [email protected]
    Reply-to: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Reminder of Service Renewal: Yahoo! Mail Plus
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="azLHFNyN32YCQGCUsm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c"
    Content-Length: 1727

Notice: Yahoo! Mail Plus Auto-Renewal Reminder

Dear xxxxxx,

Thanks for using Yahoo! Mail Plus. Your service will renew on December 13, 2004, at which time your credit card will be charged the current annual fee of $19.99. It's our goal to provide you with uninterrupted service, so please take a moment to visit https://edit.secure.yahoo.com/ec/ec_edit?.src=ym&.done=http://mail.yahoo.com, and confirm that your information is up to date.

Upon renewal, you'll continue to enjoy all the great features of Yahoo! Mail Plus – enhanced spam protection, more storage, POP access and forwarding, and more.

Don't forget – please visit https://edit.secure.yahoo.com/ec/ec_edit?.src=ym&.done=http://mail.yahoo.com today and make sure we've got the latest. If you have any difficulties accessing the information, visit our billing help page for assistance.

Sincerely,
    Yahoo! Mail Customer Care

This is a service email for xxxxxxx related to your use of Yahoo! Mail. To learn more about Yahoo!'s use of personal information, including the use of web beacons in HTML-based email, please read our Privacy Policy. Yahoo! Mail is located at 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089.

© 2004 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Help

The HTML graphics in this message have been displayed. [Edit Preferences - What's This?]

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

My guess is that that's a randomly-generated reply email that Yahoo puts on there so that if he replies, it comes back to them and they know who it's from.

Anyway, all the links in the email are to https://edit.secure.yahoo.com, so if you click them you won't get in any trouble. Also, if they addressed it with your real name then it's probably real, scammers don't usually have access to that sort of information.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Wanna bet?

5. offthahook

offthahook New Member

Yes, I actually have Yahoo! plus. I just forget when I signed up for it. You buy it on a one year basis (more space, less commercial ads, etc.) I guess I could see if they pull the PLUS part, then just sign up again come December. I have nowhere near 2 GB right now with them, so I won't lose anything if they cut my storage quota. It came from "Yahoo! Mail", which means nothing of course. It was addressed Dear xxxxxxx, which is my user ID. Basically, the part before the "@" sign.

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

If it is legit all they are asking you to do is renew your information. If nothing has changed in your information ignore it. If something has follow the normal steps that you would use to update your contact information in yahoo.

7. Penguin Man

I've never received a piece of unsolicited email with my real name on it. It's usually addressed to the first part of my email address, so it'll say something stupid like "Dear abw1," at the beginning and I can just tell it's not real.

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

@offthahook
    If it had your account name, then it's BS. And since you do have the Plus service there has to be something some where in the options that will show you how long your current payment it good for or you can also check your one bank records as to when you last paid.

@Penguin Man
    I get spam all of the time to my hotmail account that uses my real name and my rename is nothing close to my account name or even the first and last name I set up the account with. It's was more than likely sold from some place I signed up to get something free with.
    I even got some to a different hotmail account I use to have when I signed up for some other free stuff using a first and last name that I completely made up, and the spam and a scan for a free Xbox came using that name.

So yes it is possible for a scan and spam to come in using a personals real name.

9. Penguin Man

Ah, yes, that's true, if you've signed up for something with your real name and that email address then it's possible. I have a separate email address for things like that, so only people I know and trust get my personal email and my real name at the same time.