Is this builder giving me a good price?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cobramadness, Feb 3, 2004.

1. cobramadness

cobramadness OT Supporter

Hey guys, I'm a noob at building computer and instead of buying another dell that all the parts are just going to die on I'm thinking about having a guy build me a computer. I have a friend that wants to build me one for $900 shipped. He's telling me parts are going to cost him ~$800(prob less, he get's them wholesale). I just want to know what kind of deal he's giving me (excellent, good, ok, or bad). This is just for the tower.

Here's the specs:
    Antec Case and PSU
    Teac 1.44mb floppy
    Western Digital "Special Edition" 120GB 7200RPM hdd
    1GB Crucial PC2700 ram
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" processor
    ASUS GeForce FX 5200 64MB Video Card
    Asus A7N8X-X Mainboard chipset is nForce2 Ultra 400
    40x CD burn, 24x CDRW, 40x CD Read, 4x DVD-R/-RW, 2x DVD+2/+RW (1 drive)

My current computer is a Dell D4400... 1.7 GHz Pentium 4... 512 mb ram... 64mb geforce video card... 19" monitor... speakers w/ sub... dvd-rom/ 24x burner... 40 gb hd...

How much do you think I could get out of that?

Thanks so much in advance,
    Kevin

2. plat

plat New Member

doesn't seem that good to me, you could get those parts for around $500(not including the case) with a combination of stuff from newegg and local stores if your willing to deal with rebates. and thats with an 8x dvdr.

3. MP

MP New Member

crappy memory
    crappy video card
    slow proc

you could get A LOT better for $800

4. cobramadness

1GB Crucial PC2700 ram is crappy memory?
    as for the video card, I don't play games on the computer, so we thought that would do.
    Slow processor? I thought that was a good one, how fast of one do I want?

I found prices on the stuff he gave me ag newegg and it came to ~$650.

Could you guys tell me what I should buy and where I should buy it? Could I put it together myself? I've never done one before but I could probably do it, is there a how-to?

I just want a better computer than this POS I have now but I don't really have much money to spend.

5. MP

MP New Member

ok sorry, it's not crappy. It's good...just slow.

you could get roughly a 2.6ghz P4 or amd 2800 (maybe 3000) w/ some pc3200, AT LEAST a 128mb video card and you'de still just be under $800 easily.

6. cobramadness

Well I want something that will be extremely fast working with the internet... not freezing and what not. I want it to be as cheap as possible, yet really good ya know.

So do you think I could do it? Or is it a professionals only type thing?

7. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

The specs are not impressive, and not much of a jump from what you already have. I would suggest format and reinstall your machine. You suggest its slow and freezing up, sound like it could use a good cleaning.

The machine itself is expensive, the memory is slow, the processor is old, Nvidia would not be my first choice especially w/64megs... Which in your case the parts will probably die just like the Dell did and now you dont have a warranty to fix them.

Format and reinstall your current machine, and continue to save some money. If you insist of spending your money, and are comfortable installing an OS I would say build it yourself.

8. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

Buy it all from newegg.com Most of their stuff has free shipping and it will get to you within 2-3 days. I bought all my stuff there for 654 and it was only 5 dollars shipping. The graphics card was the only item that didn't have free shipping. The case, memory, motherboard, cpu and Termaltake HSF had Free Fedex shipping.

It's not too hard to put together. There's usually a how to guide that comes with the motherboard. It will tell you what goes where.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you lived close to me I would put it together for you and not charge you anything to build it.

9. cobramadness

Keyz, I do not know what you mean by format my computer. Do you mean reinstall windows and start from scratch or buy new parts for the computer? This guy has a 1yr warranty on all his stuff and a 3yr warranty on the motherboard, processor, and psu.

SantorinA4, wow that is really nice of you. Too bad you don't live closer. You said you bought all your stuff for 654...what are the specs on yours? I think I'm going to try to sell my unit and start ordering a new one.

What would be a badass system for me? I want something that I can use the internet for and be extremely fast at switching windows and stuff. And a computer that opens programs in a flash and such. Basically one that won't give me any problems and will be really fast.

What do you recommend? Give me the specs to my ideal system.

Thanks guys.

10. cobramadness

Also, he rated my computer at 2 and this computer at 7.... 1-10

11. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

12. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I still suggest just formatting the hard drive in your current machine and reloading Windows. My guess us that you probably have had that machine for a couple years and with any MS operating system it gets slower and unreliable over time. You might be pleasantly surprised with a freshly loaded machine and can put the $800 towards a GOOD machine that will make a big difference over what yours can do now. Oh and that’s good he is giving you a warranty...is he going to give you a new motherboard 3 years from now if yours dies free of charge???

And what makes these any better than what he has priced? Add the extra memory, the same size harddrive, the DVD burner, floppy, decent case (a $17 dollar case is just what you get) and the cost he is being charged to assemble your faily close to the price he has (If not more). And they still suck for the price.

If HE is the person who you are paying to build this then I can see him saying that. HE is the one making money from the deal. So what is a 10 on that scale? If yours is a 2 on that scale his is closer to maybe a 4 with a 7 being a AMD/Intel 3.0/1gig PC3200/160gig SE/ATI 9800 and a couple hundred dollars more. And a 10 being a 64bit with all the toys, dual 200's 4 gigs ram, 9800pro???

13. Tozmo

Tozmo New Member

this guy does have to make some profit, remember

14. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

Specs on mine are a Chieftec Aluminum server case with 420w power supply, 1 gig of Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 (DDR400), NVidia 5600 256MB graphics card, Albatron Intel 865pe Pro, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz with HT, a Thermaltake Spark 7+ HSF, a 120 GB Western Digital HD and a headset with microphone for my games. I didn't buy any CD-RW, DVD+-R, CD or DVD drives, or a floppy since I already had all that stuff. My motherboard has on board sound and ethernet.

I'm not real sure what to recommend. I don't really know AMD chips. If you were to go Intel I would recommend an ABIT or Albatron motherboard (800MHZ FSB) and a Pentium 4 2.4 with Hyperthreading Tecnology. You could always overclock it. As far as memory goes I would get at least 512mb. Anything lower and you'll end up getting messages saying your virtual memory is low and it will be slow. As far as brand names, I like Geil. But a lot of people like Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, etc. You may want to get a recommendation on the memory from someone else. The hard drive is really up to you. I wouldn't go any lower than an 80gb. I like Western Digital but some people like Maxtor or Seagate. That'll have to be your preference of course. You don't seem to need a top of the line graphics card. You'd probably be fine with a 64mb. You could do that in NVidia or ATI. Um...drives. CD-RW are like 50 bucks now. DVD-RW are 100 or more even though the 4x are going down. Floppy drives are 5 bucks. If you aren't going to overclock you could just use the Heatsink fan that comes with the processor if you buy retail. If you buy oem you will have to remember to purchase one for it. If you go aftermarket, Thermaltake is loud but great at keeping your system cool. Oh, and get some thermal grease. The shit these chips come with aren't that great. That's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps. :)

15. MP

MP New Member

he said he was a friend.

sure good friend charging $250 extra to build a computer that takes under an hour.

:dunno:

If you can go over to www.techtv.com or something and search for there articles pertaining to building your own computer. You'de be surprised at how easy it is.

16. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

Of course he does, but he doesn't need to make that big of a profit when it takes 15 minutes or less to put it together. The rest is just sitting there and staring at the screen until it asks you to hit okay.

17. diranged

diranged New Member

Oh god, here I go.. Try this system out:

Shuttle SN85G4 - $330
    Athlon 64 3000 - $200 (or a 3200+ for $20 more)
    512mb ram - $70
    100gb drive - $70
    dvdrom - $30
    ati 9600pro - $150

850 total

18. MP

MP New Member

that would HELLA own the system his "friend" wants to build him.

+ it would look sick as fuck and impress the ladies :rofl:

19. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: It's ALL about impressing the ladies.

20. MP

MP New Member

i can see it now

"ohhh my, what a beautiful computer"

"thanks"

:buttsex:

hey....It can happen :hs:

21. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:rofl:

22. cobramadness

So do you guys think if I put in a new hard drive that my computer would be hella fast again? If so I may just pick up a cheap 40 gig hd for $40 (don't need that much space) and do that. And get a nice DVD burner.

23. cobramadness

I don't really care what the actual computer looks like, I'm more interested in how fast it will run...but if it gets me pussy then....hmmm

haha

24. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

No... At least I hope not, because a new hard drive will not make it hella fast. The new machine would be faster than what you're running now, but I don't think any of us think it would be worth $900.

25. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

You have a 40 gig drive now, why would you replace it if you do not need the space? If you have a slower harddrive in the system, take a look at the $100 SE's 100-160gigs they might add a little more performance.

Either way format the drive and reinstall Windows. If you have a Dell just find your original disks, pop in the restore disk and reboot the machine. (Just make sure you have all YOUR data stored someplace else...) Once the Dell systems disks are complete, uninstall all the junk it install that you don't need. You will much bigger bang for the time and money than you will spending $800 on a mediocre system. If its not fast enough for your uses go spend your money, your out nothing for trying. (If you did purchase a new harddrive use that in the new machine...)

The machine listed above sounded interesting, not sure if its right for a regular user. You said you wanted a DVD Burner that they missed along with the amount of memory, case, floppy etc.