Is this book worth reading? v. neil strauss...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Bush77, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

[​IMG]

How helpful is it when it comes to picking up girls? keeping them interested? etc.

i've had a girlfriend for a year now so im not really "playing the field" i just thought it looked interesting...

2. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

It is very interesting, but it more points out how much of a loser the so called "top" PUA's are in reality.

But I think it's been a great read so far (half way through myself.)

3. Achmiel

Achmiel Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshi

It's good entertainment and a good gateway to the serious PUA books

4. jonno

jonno New Member

if you're looking for something to pick up girls your time would be better spent reading Double Your Dating by David Deangelo. The Game doesnt really tell you much about picking up women and it's pretty long. DYD is short and somewhat right to the point.

5. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

meh im also looking for an entertaining/interesting read.

6. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

For entertainment, yes. For techniques, no.

7. Socrates

Socrates New Member

It is a great read, and really the only people who bash the book are the ones who haven't read it.

It doesn't matter if you have a girlfriend or not. You will still learn about why females do the things they do, and if you and your girlfriend break up one day, you'll be glad you read it.

In my opinion, the last quarter of the book sucks, because it stops teaching and just focuses on the outcome of the fueds between the pick-up artists, but the first 3/4 of the book is good.

8. Asgard

Asgard New Member

I'm in the middle of it and I cant get enough of it. Its a really good read, not only from a learning standpoint but from a story standpoint. It really shows you why women act the way they do. He also talks about other books that you might want to read. I got the PDF off of Limewire.

9. R.Kelly

R.Kelly OT Supporter

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

There are also people in the opposite camp who think David D. is a waste of time so take that with a grain of salt :p

11. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

IBPUABattle

12. jonno

jonno New Member

doc love and DD are ma nigguhs ;)

13. NCS

NCS Active Member

if you want to learn how to pick up chicks there are a ton of resources out there. neil strauss mentions most of the big names in one chapter. don't read the game for techniques. it was a great read though.

14. NCS

NCS Active Member

to tell you the truth the mystery method isnt good for learning but excellent for reference.

15. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Agreed.

I find that you have to hit a lot of sources to get good advice. Most is BS. I personally like Doc Love, DD, and the movie "The Tao of Steve" as beginning concepts. From there, you can hit some other sites and get feedback.

The one thing I like to point out is beware of getting great at picking up women but not being able to KEEP them. Most of the advice out there is how to meet/pick up, etc, but VERY little is aimed at maintaining a quality relationship. So the danger is meeting the woman of your dreams and she slips away because you're unskilled at long term stuff.

16. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

In my opinion, long term stuff is easy. It shouldn't be hard to not be an inconsiderate prick. Everything beyond that depends on how well your personalities mesh.

That said... If you're treating the PUA guides like a step-by-step guide you absolutely have to follow to the letter you've already lost. That's not what they're for. The value of all this reading material is that it gives you a general guideline to follow. This gives social idiots (and i include myself in that group) a clue as to what's going on.

Learning how to play a new game is a good metaphor for it. Imagine someone who is going to play his first baseball game in a few minutes. The only problem is he has no idea how to play. He doesn't know what bases are, or what outs are, or even how to score points. He might think that strikes are a good thing for you to get. Can you expect this guy have even a shred of hope at playing well? He doesn't even know what the objective of the game is. But give him a rulebook and some basic strategy lessons and suddenly he might have a chance. Let him play a few games and he'll get a feel for what it's really like. The more he plays the better he gets.

Dating is that new game. The papers on the pickup sites are the rulebook and basic strategies. Your fieldwork is your practice. People like myself who were totally clueless about this game had no chance of ever succeding because we didn't even know the rules of the game.

You can even extend the metaphor into what the books won't teach you. Sure you can find a guide on how to hit a ball better, or how to organize your batting order. But they wont' tell you exactly how to move your muscles and in what order and with what force to get the ball exactly where you want. They won't tell you exactly how to put one foot in front of the other, or what to do if the ball is hit into left field and you're on second and you might be able to steal third but maybe not because their outfield is pretty good and you're not a speed demon but you're down 3-2 and you could really do some good if you made it. That's all stuff you need to be able to handle on the fly. Football is even better for this - baseball is a pretty mechanical game - but i'm too lazy to rewrite everything :o

Anyways, get my point?

It is impossible to cover every single situation you'll find yourself in. The initial pickup isn't too hard because it's a pretty rigid social situation- it's possible, though not ideal, to follow a step by step guide to it and have it work out just fine. But after that you need to be able to handle it on your own. I think of myself as a good example. If I can figure this shit out - and i have - anybody can.

Everyone has to learn this stuff the same way - through experience. You'll win some and lose a lot more. Oh well, it happens to everyone. The respected people on these "PUA" sites are always preaching about how you need field experience to get good - all the stuff you read doesn't mean dick until you actually do it. That applies to everything regarding relationships, and really all of life.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  17. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

For good PUA-based relationship advice, check out the Relationship board at mASF. Posters like ESK6969, Franco, OceanEyes etc really know what's up.

18. justdrop

justdrop New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I thought this was appropriate.

Anyone else trying Style/Neil Strauss' www.stylelife.com challenge?

19. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

It's long and it's a story but not a guide.