A&P Is this better than the kit lense?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dunitlongpole, Mar 8, 2008.

1. dunitlongpole

dunitlongpole New Member

Hi

I am ridiculously new to photography. I am getting ready to buy my first dSLR camera. I am still in high school, and my budget is really tight.

I have decided to buy a Canon 350D body.

Now, everywhere I go, I hear the kit lense is a waste of money.

Is the Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical AF Wide Angle-Tele Zoom Lens much better?

It is the only other lense at Adorama that is in my price range...

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Devin

Devin New Member

28-75 2.8 Tamron is pretty good . It's certainly not wide though . You will want something at least 18mm. I don;t know what to recommend you If you are on a budget. Nothing good is cheap .

3. dunitlongpole

dunitlongpole New Member

I know...I never knew photography was this expensive...

4. Devin

Devin New Member

In all seriouness , I would save up . Spend 500 on the XT and spend another 500 on the 17-40 f4 L and use it until you have enough money for either the 70-200 f4 l and 2.8 .

You will wish you would have in a years time. Trust me don't waste money on something like this . I tried to get out the cheap way when I started and I just ended up losing money in the end because I had to sell that crap I didn't want for 1/2 the price .

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

My suggestion is stick with the kit lens. The Tamron is more than likely just a longer focal length equivalent to the Canon in terms of image quality.

There's nothing that's going to make it a better range for you than the 18-55 kit lens unless you really know you want a longer lens. Personally I think the 18-55 is a better starting zoom range than the Tamron which will be on the longish side and leave you lacking something resembling a reasonable wide angle.

Also, better is subjective (and objective). The kit lens isn't amazing, but it's cheap. It's a good place to start if you don't know anything and don't have money for something that really is better and to be honest to get something appreciably better that's worth it will cost you at least a few times what that Tamron or the kit lens costs. You're better with the inexpensive kit lens that sets you back less than $100 now so you can start shooting and learning than you are waiting and waiting until you can afford something that's objectively "good." Search the web, there are plenty of examples, galleries and probably Flickr groups for people using the kit lenses and see just what it can do, I think you'll be surprised.

Stick with the kit lens, it's fine stopped down and it's competitive against other cheap or kit lenses. With time you'll learn from it's limitations and discover what you want, be it a wider lens, a longer lens next, etc.

6. OneTwo

OneTwo me>you OT Supporter

get the kit lens, it will be more then enough.

7. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

another good lens with a similar focal length to the kit lens is the tamron 17-50 2.8. i haven't used it myself, but i have only heard good things about it.

8. dunitlongpole

dunitlongpole New Member

Looks like I will be getting the kit lense then...

I will be upgrading within probably 6 months, so this is just a short term purchase.

9. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Don't even worry about upgrading until you really know what you need. I know people who used the kit lens for over a year before investing in different lenses.

10. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:werd:

11. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

i dont know why people hate the kit lens. it's super light weight, focuses just fine, good range, simple zoom ring. i had it for a year on my 350D along with a 50mm f/1.8 ($70)..

12. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Truth is out.

13. Spurious

Spurious New Member

We all say it's terrible because we're all part of a world wide conspiracy to get you to waste your money, yeah, that's it. :ugh:

14. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Gear snobbery. Nothing wrong with starting with a really inexpensive lens.

15. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Start with the kit lens if you dont have much to spend, learn what your camera can do. Once you know its limitations and you have more money to spend you'll know exactly which lens you'll want and why. I'm assuming you don't have much experience with photography so the kit lens will be just fine to start with.

16. CombatWombat

CombatWombat oh shit, zombies bro

17. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

have a look at the new 18-55 is

18. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

except that if you spend a few dollars more you can get a tamron 17-50 2.8 and not have to buy another midrange lens later on when you're tired of the kit lens' shitty quality

19. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

it's light because the build quality is shit
    no, no it doesn't
    ok you've got me here
    simple compared to what, it zooms the same way any pretty much every other lens does

and on top of that it's not a very fast lens and the front element rotates so forget about easily using a CPL

20. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (around 350-400, anywhere)
    or
    sigma 24-60 f/2.8 (around 200-250, amazon.com)

21. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:werd:

those >>>>>>>>>> kit lens

22. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Yeah, right :rofl:

Because $420 is just a few dollars more than the kit lens :ugh:

Seriously, if you're shooting on a tripod stopped down especially, the kit lens isn't that bad. It's not great, but it's plenty to start with rather than waste money on a more expensive lens you may find you don't even want or need down the road.

23. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Just get a g9/s5

24. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

a lot of people don't realize the lens can be just as expensive as the camera. so they budget for the camera and then are not prepared to pay for good glass. if you just use the kit lens you can probably get better image quality from a p&s

25. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I'd disagree with that completely. Yes you aren't reaching the full potential of the camera, but the kit lens is entirely capable of results far surpassing a point and shoot.

I have never owned a kit lens, none of my cameras even come with a kit lens. But I have used them on numerous occasions with the Rebels or 20/30D series as well as Nikon's equivalent and they're respectable cheap lenses.

You're not buying in to the kit lens as your last lens ever, it's more like training wheels. But it's better to start with an inexpensive moderate range zoom like an 18-55 or something close to it than a much more expensive one you may find too big and heavy, nevermind overkill for a range that perhaps you don't need that good of a lens for.

I don't even have a good zoom in that "normal" or mid-range. Everything I have brackets it but I do have a Canon 28-105 II that I've had for at least 5 years and rarely use. I was also gifted a Tokina 28-70 2.8 that I need to get around to ebaying. Everything else I have is either primes, or tele or wide zooms. To assume that everyone needs a nicer midrange zoom is silly, especially if it's their first lens. Better to have bought the kit lens IMO. Compared to everything else you might eventually have, that one <$100 lens is a drop in the bucket financially.