MMA Is this a good way to get into shape& learn self-defense?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by theaznfunk, Jul 18, 2006.

1. theaznfunk

theaznfunk B-boy fanatic

I'm thinking about going into Jeet Kune Do, a martial art that they say takes basic movements, strikes, grapples, and techniques from a variety of styles and mushes it into one. I figure that getting a good base in fighitng from this and then branching out to BJJ or Muay Thai would be a good way to start to get into shape. Any thoughts?

2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I'm thinking you're in the wrong forum. Moving this to the cage...

3. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

the only problem with JKD is that it's not a standardized thing, anyone can lump shit together and call it JKD with no issue. Majority of JKD schools are either wing chun schools with bruce lee idol worship issues or just plain martial roleplayers... but if you find a Straight Blast Gym affiliate they are usually top notch.

why not just go for the gusto and actually do MMA?

4. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

You're better off just doing straight BJJ or straight Muay Thai or even both if you're thinking about branching off to them in the future.

I really don't know much about JKD nowadays, I know they have a lot more grappling incorporated (I mean hell, Dan Inosanto is a BB in BJJ) and I've seen Muay Thai incorporated. But results speak for themselves, when was a JKD fighter in a top 10 in any weight class for the last couple years? I mean they either have MT, Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, Judo, etc. as their base but rarely if not never have I ever seen a JKD in the top 10.

But if you're goal is purely to get in shape and learn self-defense, go for JKD. If you're really concious about the self-defense aspect, go find a Krav Maga school where they'll teach you groin strikes, eye gouging, and all that insane stuff (hey, if it works on the street, it works, no complaints here :noes:).

5. theaznfunk

theaznfunk B-boy fanatic

6. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah seems like an inosanto branch off, with a bjj black belt on staff. go check it out and see if you like it, that's really the bottom line.

7. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

I've done a few classes between my Muay Thai and BJJ... I thought it was kinda lame :dunno: I mean, it's pretty fun, but too easy to be truly effective. We practiced some knife fighting and knife defense stuff, multiple attacker drills and off the wall stuff like that. It's nice to break the monotony, or to get you thinking about gameplans and stuff, but probably not a class I'd use to base my future efforts off of.

8. teep

teep New Member

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong (I hope I am), but knife defense and defending from multiple attackers in BJJ or muay thai? Nothing against your gym, but thats not right at all. If thats what they're teaching and people are saying its "too easy" you're not going to learn anything.

9. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

I think we were talking about Jeet Kune Do. The BJJ and Muay Thai kicks my ass everytime