Is this a good video card?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maffy29, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Should be more than enough. Throw an extra gig in there if you can.

3. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Yeah, I'm looking at that too on Newegg. Trying to get all the computer stuff I need at once.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you'll be 1000x better off with Intel, at this point.

2GB is recommended.

5. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

Just a tad bit of exaderation. just a tad... <-- sarcasm

You will have your Intel fanboys and your AMD fanboys.

Stick with what you like. I perfer AMD over intel, but its all up to you.

If your runnin XP then yes, the videocard you picked is fine, if your runnin vista, get one ofthe low end 8800's so you can run DX10

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

fan boy all you want, but right now, Intel is killing AMD.

7. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

This is why I was not trying to get into an arguement, becasue both sides have their valid points...

all I am going to say is as of right now, you could most likly be right.

The tables have turned multiple times between the 2 companies. which is why I told him to go with what ever he prefers.

I have 0 Problems with my AMD 64 X2 5600+ (2.8GHz) CPU. and with 4 GB's of DDR2 sittin behind it everything runs perfectly for me in Vista 0 problems. and I have more then enough speed.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

normally, I would recommend to go to one's preference if the specs/price/performance/etc are at the same level.

but not in this case. Intel really owned AMD at the moment. And it would probably take a while too before they can catch up.

screw brand loyalty. you will spend that money now right? so why not buy the better product right now?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd:

and don't get ATi. They can't design a decent product/driver combo to save their lives.

11. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

stop being an asshat

intel's bench FASTER then AMD right NOW, no likely, they are

doesn't mean in 6 month that AMD won't be faster

but right now, Intel is faster, and is better bang for the buck

and I agree, go with an nvidia card...if you can afford a dx10 card, do it

12. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

dude, wtf, if you even read what I said was that he was right about intel as of right now, I also stated that the tables have turned for both companys multiple times in the past. No where did I state that AMD = THE BESTS SHIT EVAR!!!

dear god, learn to fuckin read.

and yes, ATi is a pile of shit, nVidia all the way,

But if you want my god to honest oppinoin :gives: about the differences between them, as I said, its all personal preference.

and anyway

2 pretty much identical cards..

AMD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Intel
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115002

and the Intel is $150 more for 340MHz less but 2MB more L2 Cache

anwyay, thats just 1 example. im sure there are multiple that again "PROVE TRUE FOR BOTH COMPANYS..."

this is why i try to stay out of these arguements and try to stay a middle man because the Intel Vs AMD fight is just as bad as the 360 Vs PS3 fight and even worse then a Chevy Vs Ford fight...

Now i will say it again, It is all in personal preference. You get what you like for a processor,

but since this is a thread for the Video card and was hyjacked into a AMD V intel debate I say that stick with nVidia and the 6800 that you picked out, you will be happy with the performance

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I see your point, but I just find the matter of personal preference silly.

My point is (and the other posters as well,.. I think),.... whatever manufacturer he preferred, we would still recommend to go with the better product.

If it's like before, AMD owning Intel Pentium Ds (Presler),.. we would recommend to go with AMD,... not Intel,... not on what he preferred.

Months ago, the price difference between the 2 is only $30 or so.
    AMD needs to aggressively price their product to compete with Intel. That's the reason for the price difference now.
    But that doesn't remove the fact that the E6700 consumes less power and still out performs the X2 6000+.

14. Teh | B-Unit

Teh | B-Unit New Member

ATI = Crap
    Nvidia = Not Crap

As far as the different processor's go, they are two totally different architectures designed for different needs. One gaming, one multimedia and multitasking (original thought of products), so what they do to compete is beef their product with more cache or fsb what have you, and say it can do this better than the other. Technically it can still handle the others performance because hardware is definately taking off faster than software, but that was the original design for each processor. So it really doesn't matter, the newer processor will get the better result untill another new one is release.

15. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Personal preferance with CPUs? :ugh:

Go with what gives you more power for your $.

16. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

unless intel droped their prices I personally think that amd has a better bang for the buck. I HATE intel fanboys that say that intel is "killing" amd right now. Other than the top 4 proccessors from intel which all cost over $600 last time I checked my $200 AMD dual core kicks most intel's chip's asses. Also the all of the benchmarks that the fanboys quote are writen by intel or sponsored by intel. if you want bang for the buck go amd if you want to sell your kidney for the best performance ever go intel.

back to the question asked by the original poster. that is a good card. I personally like ati cards more but the newer nvidia's are pretty good. Also that is a dx10 card so it will be good for many years down the road. I say go for it. I would make sure the motherboard you get has a n'vidia chipset to match the graphics card and sli for future expantion. I don't like mixing chipsets and graphics cards.

A second gig of ram will help alot more than you might think.

Another thing to consider is a performace hard drive such as the raptor. They don't have as much storage as a normally drive but they do allow programs to load alot faster. When I upgraded my hard drive a few years ago my load times were cut in half for the in game save screens in half life 2.

17. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

:bowrofl:

18. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I picked up this system pretty cheap as a package deal and its better than the Pentium D that I'm currently using. I would have liked a Core 2 Duo, but I took what was cheap and available at the time.

19. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Nvidia's drivers are pretty shitty right now too, definitely for their 8800s and Vista.

20. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

In my opinion, completely disregard this post.

So your $200 AMD kicks the shit out of most Intel CPUs? :hsugh: A sub $250 E6600 will beat a 6000+ in almost any benchmark.

SLI is generally useless, and there is nothing special about Nvidia chipsets, nor does the 90% of people need SLI. I've ran my Nvidia cards on plenty of non-Nvidia chipsets without a problem

So by increasing your rotational speed of your frive by 27% you decreased load times in 1/2 :rolleyes: Raptors are generally a waste of money unless you are already have top notch CPU and videocard, and have no where else to put the money.

21. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

e6600 is about the same as the 6000+. It is $60 more expensive and I can only find one or two different bechmarks where the 6000+ isn't the same or better. http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=432&model2=694&chart=174 that doesn't really look like an ass kicking in my oppinion. to the guy that complained about power usage... who da fuck cares. honestly if you are spending money for a good proccessor I assume that you also have a good power supply. anyways it only takes like 50 extra watts that's not going to kill anyone.

I'll admit I don't know jack shit about sli because I have never run an n'vidia graphics card. I have always just assumed that matching the brands will yeild better results.

Have you ever run a raptor? They do make a difference. Maybe not as dramatic as in my case but they are notisably faster than a stadard drive. my gains were larger because I upgraded from a dieing ide drive and went to the sata raptor.

Also part of my last post was misstated. I was going off what one of my friends had been telling me. I now have done the reaserch and can back up what is in this post.

To The Originall Poster: sence you already have a system just want a graphics card to run your games better the 8600 you selected will work great. Get it and don't look back.

22. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

shutup douche

you said they MAYBE faster

no, there's no MAYBE, they ARE

23. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

faster for more money, but when you are looking at 2 similar items the AMD chips are cheaper then the Intel chips.

dear god... i freakin showed an example of it and you still bitch about it..

all i can think of is that new "Wierd Al" song... what was that... It was a Parody of that one greenday song that came out a few years ago like in 2005... idk... Maybe you should go look it up. :fawk:

24. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

fanboys will be fanboys and push their shit like it is marijuana.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  25. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sony and Microsoft were killing Nintendo for most of the past decade, but Nintendo blew them the fuck out of the water with the Wii and the DS. Give AMD time to regroup from Intel's onslaught.