Is this a good routine? v.twiceaweek

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by :eek5:, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :eek5:

:eek5: i OT Supporter

Can only make it to the gym twice a week so I'm looking for something to maximize my time there. Found this on another forum, wondering what the f&n gurus think about it:

Day 1:
    3x Squats, Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Pullups, Rows, Abs
    2x Bicep Curl, Dips, Calf Raise

Day 2:
    3x Dead Lift, Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Pullups, Rows, Abs
    2x Bicep Curl, Tricep Extension, Calf raise

I'm doing cardio every day I'm not able to make it to the gym. Looking to cut, not bulk.

Improvements? If you have a completely different routine to suggest thats fine too. Just looking to maximize my time at the gym. thx

2. quamen

quamen New Member

make more time for yourself to get to the gym. Getting to the gym more often, will only better your health and job performance. Anyways with the amount of time you have to put in, I would try one of those HIT routines. Very quick and seems pretty effective for what you want to do.

3. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

how come you can make time for cardio but not the gym?

maybe something like...

day 1
    Bench
    Deadlift

bent over rows
    goodmornings
    DB bench/dips

Day 2
    Squat
    strict over head press

lunges
    GHR
    pullups

can do more core/ab work on days out of the gym or whatever

4. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

This?
    But program in your initial post or this one would both be fine given your time constraints.

5. ices

ices New Member

Rippetoe's starting strength routine.

**Means this is OPTIONAL**

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    **2x8 Dips (if you cant do these or no assist machine then do Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
    **2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

6. Daria

Daria New Member

Generally speaking, twice a week, every week for weights should be good enough to maintain muscle while you lose weight, as long as you're eating enough calories.

If you find it hard to get to a gym and you have room at home, you might want to consider buying some stackable free weights. That's all you really need to maintain most of your muscle.

I find this product is very convenient:
    http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/PowerBlock-Sport-50-Dumbbells-5-50-lbs-Set-P901C94.aspx

I got mine for $150, so ignore that price. There is also heavier versions of the same thing. I got mine at the same store, but I had a discount because I attend a weight-loss clinic that made a deal with the store. I'm sure if I was able to get them for $150, you could find this or something similar for much cheaper than the price they're listing on that site.

This is just an option for home equipment to free up travel time/membership fees for a gym, if it's what you want to do. Some people prefer a gym because they feel more motivated and focused. Home might provide too many distractions. It's really up to you.

For fun/variety, some other equipment you could buy for home could be an exercise ball and/or a strong resistance band. A yoga mat is useful to avoid slipping if you have hardwood floors.

7. :eek5:

:eek5: i OT Supporter

thanks all for the suggestions, appreciate it :bowdown:
    long story short my friend gets me in, but our schedules don't really line up that well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.