Is this a good router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deadW8, Jan 21, 2004.

1. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

I've been on 56k forever and don't know much about cable/dsl internet and routers. (I have been searching through older posts though and everyone seems to definitely recommend a router with dsl.)

I'll be ordering SBC's dsl this week and I wanted to know if this router was any good: Netgear WGR614 Wireless 802.11g 54 Mbps Router. Do I need anything else, I remember something about an ethernet card but it's not mandatory?

I have a really old PIII 500mhz E-machine (I know it's old and e-machines sucks, but it works still and hasn't given me any trouble. :x: )

Will I need to upgrade anything pci/network cards or anything else necessary for the dsl connection? (I'm pretty sure SBC includes the dsl modem in their package.)

TIA

2. txz

txz Guest

make sure that they give you a dsl modem that has an ethernet connection not just one that uses USB. Also you will need to make sure that your desktop and a ethernet port. The router you mentioned is a decent router for the money.

3. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

txz: Thanks for the info. Iif I ask for a dsl modem with ethernet connection will it also have USB? Or is it one or the other only?

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

If you plan on connecting only one computer to the DSL modem, then a router is unecessary. You will need a network card regardless of whether you use a router or not. If you do need wireless capabilities, I would suggest you get a cheaper 802.11b router and wireless network card, as the extra throughput of the g won't be utilized by a DSL or cable connection.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

not so. this is the point of a usb dsl modem

6. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Um, so are you telling me that I don't need a hardware firewall then? I'd rather have the router (<--firewall) and I will be connecting 2 computers. As for 802.11b, I dunno but from everything I've been reading g > b. :dunno:

7. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Sure, g > b when you're transfering large amounts of data between machines on your local network. But, if your machines don't talk to each other much, g really isn't worth the extra cost.

8. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Oh, ok...thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

9. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

G is only better than B if your going to use the network for some type of data sharing between two machines with atleast one being wireless. VERY few DSL/Cable connections come anywhere close to using the capacity that 802.11B carries let alone G. Especially SBC which only sells around 1.5 meg or so, where 802.11B will pass around 5 or 6 megs usually..

And I am one of them people who STRONGLY suggest anyone having broadband and leave their machine on for any lenght to spend the $20+ for a router... Its the cheapest was to give yourself some security. Software firewalls are not worth the CPU power they use...(IMHO)! BUT a there are only a few routers that use USB and I have yet to hear of someone who has one and likes it. Ethernet is much more common, so ask for a ethernet modem and get a router which you will need a network cable to connect to the computer. And obviously the computer needs to have a ethernet network interface card to plug the router into (or wireless).