A&P Is this a good deal? D40

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Rojo Johnson, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

Seems like a pretty good package deal to me. I'm still trying to decide between a couple cameras but after doing lots of research I've kinda decided on the D40. My only real concern is it being small. I'm a tall dude and have some big paws. From palm to fingertip is like 9 inches. I guess I could get a grip for it right? My wife is short so she would prefer tha smaller camera. As of now I know VERY little about DSLR's and I think this would be a good starter camera kit. Amazon does have some different packages with different lenses. So is this a good deal for two beginner's not looking to get really serious about photograhy? We would mainly be taking pictures of our son.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D40-3-5...r_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1221568736&sr=1-14

2. Yoritomo

Yoritomo dad's jar chimer

I used to be a d40 advocate... until I shot for an extended period with one.

I have big hands. The muscles in my hand were spasming from cramping and pain after a while. It's just too small if you're going to do any extended shooting. If you're limited to that budget though there's not really an alternative that won't cramp the hell out of your hands.

Look for a Refurbed d80, used d50, or look at used/refurb Canon 30d.

Otherwise it can take great pictures.

3. Rojo Johnson

Well I don't necessarily want the D40. I just thought that was a good deal and a nice starter. I doubt I would be buying too many lenses for it also. I"m on a budget and I figured I could get the new D40 with 2 lenses for less than I could get a D80 body. I might jsut wait and save some more to get it. I don't know yet.

PM price on your D40.

4. Curren$y

Curren$y New Member

i love my d40.

but you can get a d40 body and both of those lenses for cheaper. That package is good though, 2 good lenses to cover 18-200

5. Rojo Johnson

The size is definitely a concern of mine, but the wife has tiny hands and she msot likely would hate a D80. We'll have to go check some out this weekend to see...

Would a refurbed camera be just as reliable? Doesn't the D50 and D60 have a slower shutter speed than the D40?

6. Rojo Johnson

By cheaper do you mean used?

CPTMULLER, I don't have a sub so I can't reply to your PM but I'm intersted. I'll get a sub and we can talk more about it.

7. Yoritomo

I think you can find the d40 and both those lenses for 599

8. Yoritomo

Oh crap. That deal is over.

9. Yoritomo

d50 and d40 have the same shutter. Regular shutter up to 1/90 I think and uses an electronic shutter after that up to 1/4000. If you're doing off camera flash you can flash sync at any speed, or with on camera up to 1/500.

d60 has the same shutter as the d80. Goes from bulb to 1/4000 and will sync up to 1/200.

10. Rojo Johnson

Cool.

So does anyone have any pictures taken with a D40? I'd like to show the old lady some examples of what one can do. And how far can the 55-200 lense zoom? I need to research more:hs:

11. Rojo Johnson

All the pics in your albums were taken with the D40? About how far away from the feild were youat the football game?