Is this a decent deal? v.usedcomputer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Original Username, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Original Username

Original Username New Member

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/sys/179097800.html

I plan on using it as a home file server and possibly a game server. The processor is 1.8ghz according to the seller and it has no hard drive (I got that covered). I'm guessing the processor is a sempron or XP. Also, if I decide to get this, what should I use for an OS? I'm torn between XP pro for my knowledge of it or a linux distribution.

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

It's a good deal. Don't expect much from it though. You don't know what kind of processor it has.

3. Original Username

I'm pretty sure it would be an XP 2100 considering the age of it and how he said it was 1.8 ghz.

100th post ftl

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If it's an XP 2100+, you're not going to get stellar performance -- hell, you won't even get really good performance, not for gaming anyway. That said, for $150 it would make a kickass file server (and maybe game server as well), if you install Windows Server on it and protect it properly. Throw an $80 RAID card in it (like the one I have) and plug in three 500GB hard drives, and you've got yourself a terabyte of storage available to anyone you give the password to, 24/7.

EDIT: In astoundingly ironic fashion, I went straight to the Craigslist page, reviewed the specs, and came to the exact same conclusion you did -- before I even bothered to find out what you were planning to do with it. Heh.

5. Original Username

Haha, I know I won't be using it for gaming at all. I already have a good enough gaming PC as it is. I was also thinking of using it as a game server for CS:S and BF2 possibly.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I don't see anything about an operating system on that page, so you're "supposed" to buy a new XP pro license for the machine. Newegg has XP pro but not for less than $100, close to the price of the machine itself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1149&SubCategory=368

There is a server edition of Ubuntu (a gnu/linux distribution) you might be interested in using: http://www.ubuntu.com/server