Is this 97 A4 worth the money?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TripleFive, Jun 4, 2007.

1. TripleFive

TripleFive Someone Sell Me A Porsche! OT Supporter

This is what he lists..

"Beautiful Red paint with tan leatherette, newly installed Meyle Contrl Arm,Tie Rod Kit, Eibach Prosystem kit, Timing belt kit, new belts and hoses, synthetic oil, Brembo brakes, new tires on refinished 17" Fittipaldi 5 spokes, new battery, garaged, selling because I received a company car, perfect, ***-****"

I e-mailed about the mileage and he said it is sitting at 93,000.

The asking price is 7k.

This is the only pic he sent.
    [​IMG]

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Looks decent. It's good that he's had the control arms replaced, the original arms were NOT built to withstand the actual weight of the car. Used to be they had to be changed every 30kmi or so, but Meyle finally smartened up and made a heavy duty kit. At the very least, it's got fresh control arms that will last a while before they need to be replaced again.

In short, based on what the guy listed as having been replaced, it's pretty clear that he knows what the trouble spots are with that chassis, and he made sure they were taken care of. I'd say this car is worth $7k, so long as there are no electrical problems.

The leatherette will burn your skin off on a hot day, though. If you get the car, consider hunting down a good set of real leather seats and door panels to swap in.

3. TripleFive

TripleFive Someone Sell Me A Porsche! OT Supporter

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking about breaking the guys balls on the price. Now that I have thought it over it seems like a fair price if it is really that clean in person.

Ya, I think I would tint the windows first thing. I don't know how hard it would be to track down the leather to swap in.

4. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

looks good try to geta carfax history perhaps or geta CPO warrenty or something but i dig it

5. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

If its never been wrecked and the electronics are all good i'd say its a good deal.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Knowing firsthand how much money it takes to keep that car in that good condition over ten years, I'd laugh if someone offered me $5k to buy it. There's no way in hell the guy listed everything he actually did to the car.

If you can stomach paying $7k for a ten year old car, just drop the cash and drive off with it. Skip the haggling bit.

7. Gek

Gek Go for broke

anyone know the reliability on these used A4's? i'm thinking of picking up a 2000-2002 A4. so the control arms tend to wear down. anything else? turbos? engine? electronic?