Is this 3400 good price for new workstations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Brian, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

tell me what would be a good price for this prebuilt
    i got 3400 from dell small business
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.80GHz, Intel® EM64T,1MB/800
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, SP2 with Media
    2GB, 533MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, ECC (2 DIMMS)
    48X/32X CD-RW
    80G, 7200 RPM
    3.5 inch 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    128MB USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Memory Key
    19 inch LCD Flat Panel, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI
    256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3400, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA

i need to buy 8 or 9, maybe i could get a discount

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why would you buy a high end system like that with only a 7200rpm drive? Get a raptor 10k drive.

and why dell?

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Establish a small/medium business account if you're buying in bulk like that, and work with your account rep to get the price down.

4. kl

kl New Member

Yeah, go with the business account. Right not Dell is running a buy 3 get 1 free offer. That'd be worth looking into for a biz

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Why not Dell?? IMO, they have some great machines and are very reasonable if you are looking for a completely built machine. The warranties are pretty good too. 95% of the machines at work are Dells and I am very happy with them.

Who would you recommend besides Dell?

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Agreed.

7. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

8. Scoob_13

Ignore the idiot - you can't beat Dell for cookie cutter workstations.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Exactly what I am thinking.

Are these just normal desktops for normal users? What types of applications do they use? Nowadays, the apps or the crux of the work aren't even performed on "their workstations", but on other boxes or servers. So they just need a working interface or terminal to those machines. Anything more would be a waste.

Just get the bare minimum, onboard everything, nic, video, sound, get a slower cpu, 512 mb of RAM, smaller monitor... BARE MINUMUM. Nothing you can reuse from the older workstations? Like monitors?

If my guys bought those types of machines as workstations for the company, they would be out of the door in no time.

And, yes setup a business account with them as well. Dell is good for only pc's and desktops and that's it, with our experience.

10. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

The Dell PCs we have in my college suck. They have mobo failures and HD failures within 1 year.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The reason I say Dell sucks is simple:

1) Their support is not very good. Maybe if you're a dumbass and cannot use google, then you need someone to read an answer off their screen. However, for pretty much everyone else, there is much better out there in terms of support.

2) Their hardware is nothing to get excited about. Their configs are bland and are done in a cookie-cutter configuration. They build you a system the way it was ordered with no good way of upgrading it. The way you get it was the way they intended it to stay. Upgrades are possible, but you're limited. The brands that they choose are mediocre, and the products (CPUs, Hard Drives, Optical Drives, etc) carry *no* warranty outside of dell.

3) They take forever. 2+ weeks to get a notebook? I don't know what they're smoking, but it must be good... My customers would never wait 2+ weeks for a system!

4) Their cases are butt-ugly. You can call this subjective if you like, but I have never met someone that likes the plastic dell "clam-shells" over a CoolerMaster WaveMaster, or [insert nice case here].

5) Prices. You can almost always build the machine for less. If you don't want to build it yourself, you can almost always find a local shop that will build it for less. I do not view dell as a competitor to my business. They're my aly. I get a lot of customers that had dells and now want to get as far away from them as possible. Others are so dillusional that they think that "dell is the greatest" "dell cannot be beat". So when I propose a better machine for less, they're even happier. So, honestly, I like dell -- but I'd never use one of their machines again!

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Who has 'much' better support out there then? Not all of us (especilly home users who probably buy these machines) know how to troubleshoot computer problems. That's why the supprt is there in the first place. You have to remember that we may be involved in the field, but others are not and have no idea what to do when something goes wrong.

I see nothing wrong with their hardware unless you need some special or expensive piece of hardware for maybe an intensive application. And for upgrades, big deal... The machines are cheap. If I buy a machine for say $300-$400 bucks and it lasts a couple of years then fine. I got what I expected out of it. They are so cheap, I'd just buy another one if one failed after that much time.

As for waiting on a notebook, they are a business. It's not like you were their only customer at the time placing an order. I've ordered desktop and laptops and had them within the same week. Others take longer.

Again for the cases, who cares about a machine that has a fancy case with a side window on it? All I care is that the machine works. What's a machine at work gonna do with a $100+ fancy computer case sitting under my desk? Nothing...

Sure a machine can be built for less than the price of a Dell. Not all of us can build machines so the wise choice would be to buy a package deal.

Again, I'm not sure what exactly you do for work, but the original post seemed to be aimed at getting some machines for a business. I really don't think he is going to care about it having a dull black case, or care too much about the hardware as long as it does what it's intended for.

I think the Dell machines are great for a business/small business since they usually are complete. If you don't get one with the deal, you add a monitor and the machine is complete. For a business, you really can't beat that.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

but that's exactly my point -- you CAN beat it.

go to some local shops and see what they can do for you. Even bring a print-out of the Dell quote.. I bet you'll be surprised when they do beat it -- and offer you more personal support.

At dell, you're just a number... When customers call my store, they get me... I know their names, and I offer them personalized support that dell won't give them. I can't imagine I'm the only small business that does that. Check your area!

The worst you'll get is a confirmation that dell is right for you... But you could be getting a better deal, too! So what does it hurt to shop around, possible get a better machine for a better price, and help your local economy?

btw, the Wavemaster isn't a "fancy case with a side window" in fact, it doesn't even have a window. I suggest you look up a pic of the case ;)

14. Brian

Brian New Member

they are doing CAD work

im actually thinking about changing from 3.8ghz p4 to a 3.2ghz p4 and getting them 2 19in lcds. And change the 2gb memory from 2 dimms to 4 dimms

is the FX 3400 overdoing it for CAD?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends... it's definitely a high end card.

check out some matrox cards. see if you can get something to suite your needs for less.

16. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I just don't see going to a local PC shop when buying multiple machines... I never bought a 'put together' machine and I did not know that a PC shop would offer support without dropping the machine off and being charged to get it looked at.

IMO, the PC shops around here charge an arm and a leg for a machine and it's usually just the tower. You have to separately buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse... etc.

17. toast25K

toast25K Guest

I have to agree with cmsurfer buying a lot of machines from a large company is the way to go. dells service really can't be beat. I have never had a problem with them replacing any failed piece of hardware and for the price you can't beat 'em. I would love to say that the local computer shop is going to be there for ya, but they aren't the warranty and service dell can offer make it impossible for any small shop to compete.

18. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Go to a local PC shop for building multiple PC for work? And use their support? LOL Who the hell recommended that idea? Ah, must the be the retard on the IL.

19. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Ok, I stand corrected.

Then you might want to consult your CAD software vendor TAM for some hardware recommendations. Some may have deals with other hardware vendors too.

One thing, I'd opt to use 1 GB sticks so you would have more room for upgrades. Can't ever have enough RAM. I just ordered 256 GB of 2 GB DIMMS to pop into a bunch of our Alpha's.

20. col_panic

good idea

21. Scoob_13

:ugh: I bet you're one of the morons that think that the upgraded warranties and service plans aren't worth it :ugh:

This further proves that you've never worked in an enterprise environment. Standardized hardware leads to less training for on-site personnel, easier troubleshooting, quicker deployments, and easier upgrades. And Dell workstations, including their SFF's, are EASILY upgraded - I have a GX260 SFF workstation with an upgraded video card for dual monitors, 1gb ram, 80gb drive (from the 20gb it came with), and an external USB 2.0 CD duplicator/burner. Move up to their towers, and you have even more options.

2 weeks for a custom built system is not unheard of. Try stopping by the real world sometime.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Need some douche for that sandy vagina of yours? Their workstations for business - they don't need to be beautiful so long as they look professional and work properly.

No, you can't, not with the warranty and support for the machines.

Custom-built machines are great for certain applications - they even have their use in small businesses - but they are nowhere near suited for day to day enterprise operations.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That is *exactly* my point. It is not unheard of. It's quite common, actually. That is the problem... 2 weeks may be common, but that does not make it acceptable or appropriate.

I have numerous customers that buy 20+ systems at a time, and they cannot stand the basic cases. The Antec Sonata is my most popular case for businesses... Followed by the Silverstone TJ-04. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware the business were forced to use ugly computers. I personally feel that a clean case design looks much more professional than any of the Tonka designs that Dell uses. My customers must agree, by the look of their purchase orders.

Yes you can. Maybe the shops around you suck.. I dunno... But that doesn't mean that dell is the be-all-end-all in support. Fact is that many people are dissatisfied with them. If dell was so great, I wouldn't be in business. And if dell was so great, why is it that a majority of the quotes I see have a dell quote stapled on the back for comparison? Because dell may be considered the "baseline" but that doesn't make them the best. The idea is to break the benchmark.

If this guy has direct authority over purchasing 5 computers, then it is not an enterprise. Or if it is, then they're not looking for a cookie-cutter dell. Fact is that an "enterprise" as you would define it, has a very regulated process for aquiring hardware... You put in a request, and after approved by whoever needs to sign off on it, it goes to IT where they take care of getting it. This isn't an enterprise -- it's a small business.

Sorry that you guys don't want something more than dell. Something with better hardware, better support, better prices, and someone that can remember your name. Yeah, for the enterprise, dell is great... But we're not talking enterprise here.

23. col_panic

:hsugh:

i'm gonna just pass on this

24. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Yes it looks like a good price, a bit more than most people need, but if they're doing heavy cad, I wouldn't think twice about dropping that kind of cash on a box like that.