SRS Is there such a thing as a sleeping disease?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BoomerP, Jun 3, 2009.

1. BoomerP

BoomerP New Member

For the past few months I've been feeling tired and having a lack of energy unless I doze off an hour or two after work. After that I'm all good again, and if I manage to stay awake those few hours after work I feel better too, but that takes alot of effort.

I didn't mind it at first it was nice napping but now it's turned into almost every single day and it's becoming an annoying "need" and I think I'm programming my body to keep doing this. I've tried changing my sleep rutine and the less I sleep the better it seems to be. 5 or 6 hours seem to be the best, if I sleep less or longer then that I feel too tired to do anything. Exercise doesn't help, if anything it makes me more tired.

I'm not sure if it's from work stress or what but I've been wondering for awhile if it could be some sort of disease cause I've never felt tired like this all the time before.

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

What did your doctor say (You did go to a doctor before you asked a bunch of internet strangers right)?

According to my professional opinion as an accounting grad (Non-Practicing) it could be many things:

Low iron
    Depression
    Improper eating habits (Types of foods, when you eat, and portions)
    Allergies

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

There are a variety of things that can cause excessive need for sleep. Some serious, most not serious. I would get checked out if you can't get control of it through altering your lifestyle. A physician can help you rule out some things.

4. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Definitely get a blood test and get your iron levels checked

What's your diet like?

5. BoomerP

BoomerP New Member

Yeah I mentioned it to my doctor about 2 months ago. He said something simular. Or that stress could cause it. I'm on some vitamins that are supposed to help but I don't know. He wanted me to cut down on anti depresants but I'm not able to do that right now. I'm alergic to nuts but that is it as far as I know. I got the impression he dismissed the whole thing off as nothing serious

My brother works in a hospital home place and I've heard from him that there are some patients there who have trouble with sleeping, that they can only stay awake for a few hours each day before they fall asleep for 16-20 hours. And he says it's something new so they are not really sure what causes it. Hearing that is what got me alittle worried.

Well my diet is mixed and probably not as healthy as it could be and I eat somewhat irregular. I'm also on some medicine that makes me more hungry than usual.

6. tidalxwave

tidalxwave WWKD? OT Supporter

Eat Protein + Vegetables + Fruits + Fiber + Vitamins ABCD/Omega 3 + Workout 30 minutes of medium cardio + 7 hours of sleep + Sleeping Pills on a routine basis = Solve your sleeping problems.

7. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Basically what he is saying is cover every single base possible. Which is by all means and accounts the best course of action. But what he just described will be more than likely a huge lifestyle change for problem which doesnt sound that serious. If anything, try out his suggestions, then start cutting away at them until your problem returns, at least then you will now what was helping and what wasnt. Unless you want to change your entire lifestyle, which once again isnt a bad thing, its just up to you if you are willing to do so.

8. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

If the Lifestyle changes do not work after giving them a strong go, consider an organic possibility. At most it shouldn't take more than a month. Was your blood work normal? Anything off that you know of?

9. blackbirdbeatle

Do you have good insurance? Then try to get your doc to give you a complete allergy test. I mean the one where you get tested for hundreds of things. You'd be surprised at what you'd find. I was.

Also a few points on diet. Read up before you take any advice because many vitamins are a waste in the doses given in pills (Vitamin B, C), some only work with fats (A, various antioxidants), some you don't need at all if you get sun (D), and some don't work at all if you are male (Omega 3 from any plant source like flax, you need fish or krill and then it has to be liquid not caps and in a dark bottle).

I don't know many other health boards that aren't completely full of psychos and that preach crazy ideas but healthboards (Google it), and ask metafilter (Do a search for your topic) are huge. I don't know if I can post thier names here but since OT isn't this kind of a health board and they have doctors on those boards then that might help.

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

yes low testosterone can mess up your sleep

11. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

If you're looking for a potent vitamin/mineral whole food supplement for a cheap price, you can get ALIVE from Nature's Way. It's got "everything" and 20 bucks will last 2 months. Well worth it.

12. vizyn

vizyn New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

13. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Shot in the dark but maybe get checked for hypothyroidism...just a simple blood test.

14. BoomerP

BoomerP New Member

Well thank you, I'm certainly willing to give those a try. I can ask one of the trainers at the gym I go to for a advise about a diet or workout program

What do you mean by organic? Like organic food?
    When I last visited my doctor he said my blood preasure was kinda low but he said it wasnt anything to worry about but he gave me something for it. And err.. I have a temperal lobe epilepsy disorder, but I'm not sure if that is related in any way.

15. BoomerP

BoomerP New Member

Okay. No I don't have insurance but I don't need that here, I can ask for a allergy test next time I have doctors appointment.

Hmm but if I ask a doctor or a trainer for a diet and vitamin plan, surely he will know his stuff wont he?

Testosterone is a man thing isn't it?

16. Abomb

Abomb New Member

men and women need testosterone albeit in different amounts

so if you are a female, have your estrogen, thyroid, and test etc checked

17. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Organic means physiologically alive vs. psychological or some other lifestyle aspect. When did the TLE begin? Low blood pressure. When did that begin as well?

18. blackbirdbeatle

I still don't understand your definition of organic.

19. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

What now? The "gel caps" in the dark bottle don't work for men? I need to drink liquid fish oil?

20. blackbirdbeatle

No they do, if they are an animal source. It's just that omega fatty acids are really sensitive to things like light and heat. Packaging the oil in gelcaps exposes it to a lot of heat in a relatively small amount. Plus, the quality is usually lower and the processing is harder on the acids. Good fish oil shouldn't smell that fishy either.

The bottled stuff like Health From the Sun can be had cheap on vitacost or bodybuilding.com's site or something and it's good quality, a good price for what you get, and it's keep refrigerated after it's exposed to air.

A good comparison is tea from tea bags vs. loose leaf tea that is fresh.

But do your own research, I'm just going on what I've found. If you do find something different than please post it here.

I just want to add that there could very well be a company that has quality caps. I haven't looked because I don't mind the taste and it's a better value in liquid form.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  21. BoomerP

BoomerP New Member

I'm still not sure what you mean by organic aswell. Is it something to do with your body or something external?

I've had TLE since I was 10 or so I think and low blood preasure I'm not so sure about. But probably not long.. less then 6 months atleast. I started getting tired like this after january sometime.

22. BoomerP

BoomerP New Member

How can you get low testosterone?

23. Abomb

Abomb New Member

are you male or female

24. BoomerP

BoomerP New Member

I'm female

25. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

What I meant by organic here is that there may be a direct biological change happpening in the body, like infection or some other physical dysfunction of a particular organ changing it's structure, like the brain. Here is the definition. I can see where I didn't explain it too well.

Organic disease (Med.), a disease attended with morbid changes in the structure of the organs of the body or in the composition of its fluids; -- opposed to functional disease.

In your case, you have a lot of things to look at before you get into these types of problems. It could be simple sleep apnea, like someone else mentioned.