GUN Is there some downside to alternating bullets in a magazine?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Nov 27, 2005.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

People often argue whether FMJ is better than JHP or fragible is better than non fragible. Well, why not just alternate? In my .32, there's some question whether FMJ is better than JHP because penetration might be more important, so why don't I just alternate between the two in the magazine? In my 9mm home defense weapon, I have the first 5 bullets fragible because I'm concerned about shooting my neighbors through the walls. :dunno:

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No downside I'm aware of. first 5 rounds in the mag I keep in my SAR1 are frangible, first shot i keep in my 12 guage is a slug, then rest 00

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

To me the downside is, if you load powder puff rounds rounds and they don't work, by the time you get to the correct round, you might already be shot. I want the first shot to be as effective as the last shot. When you're talking a small capacity gun that holds say 5-7 sounds alternating might mean you have as few as 2-3 of the "good" round. If you've done your homework on the round and feel like you've found the best load, you might as well have a full magazine of the best. If a round isn't good enough to be the first round in your magazine, why is it good enough to be the second? If a round is too dangerous to be the first round in your magazine, why is it safe to be the 3rd round?

4. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

But there is no "best" for every situation. A JHP might be the best if he's wearing a t shirt and you get an unobstructed shot to the chest. A FMJ might be better if he's a huge fatass or is holding his arm up. It seems like most things in life, it's better to not put all of your eggs in one basket, or bullet as it were, and instead diversify. :dunno:

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IMO best bet is to replace your carry piece with something a bit bigger, 9mm, .40, .45 where unless he's wearing a vest 2 in the chest is gunna more then likely put him down.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If it won't work everytime, its not the right round. If a guy throwing his arms up will mean your round will no longer get where it needs to go, then it isn't suitable.

So for instance, in 9mm I feel like a 147 jhp will get there everytime, I have no need for fmj. Arms up or down, the round can get to where it needs to go. On the other hand though for my .38spl I only feel comfortable with 158gr lswchp rounds. Most hollow points in .38spl just don't have the penetration I feel is necessary. Maybe it would penetrate far enough if his arms are down, but why take the chance. Use something that will penetrate every time otherwise you're wasting precious capacity with rounds that may or may not be suitable.

Penetration first then expansion. Every round must be able to get where it needs to go. If it can and there is energy in the round to spare, then you can investigate using hollow points to create a bigger wound channel too.

I think the best tactic is to say I need X" of inches of penetration first. Then see what round in that caliber does it. If its a jhp, groovy, you get an even bigger wound. If its a fmj round, well not as groovy, but its still your best chance at stopping. Wound surface area is unimportant, if it doesn't get somewhere important. Picking the number is the hard part. The FBI says 12" You have a greater chance of hitting an arm from the side than the front, so some people choose to fudge that number a little bit lower. I'm a 10-14" kind of guy.

7. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I carry 135gr hydrashok. i have 16 in the g19 and 15 on stand by. If I feel the need to pull the trigger, the target is getting several rounds atleast. I'm confident they will go down.

ps: i train with the zipper method, arm placement isn't too much of an issue this way, and i live in texas so 10 layers of thick clothes/jackets is unlikely, but I'm confident I could someone down even in this attire.