Is there no word processing program for Macs that can properly convert a windows...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lordcoca, Aug 24, 2004.

1. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

file? I have some rather large (800+ kb .rtf) files that I was trying to convert and use on my new ibook, however, while some of the smaller ones convert properly with the correct formatting, my larger ones and others don't convert properly. They don't tend to have italicised text or bolding where I want it, it's rather frustrating.

So is there any program that can cure my woes? I'm sure i can convert the files on my windows machine to any other format with no problems if that will ease the conversion, i'm not sure if the problem lies within my .rtf files themselves :dunno:

So far I've tried, Textedit, Open Office and Appleworks :(

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

look to see if DataViz still makes the MacLink set of translators.. they were the de facto standard for Mac translation back under the classic Mac OS, but I dunno about recently. What were your .rtf files produced with originally, Word? I'm fairly confident that Word could convert them better than any other app if they were created in Word to begin with. if you bought a new machine then Office test drive should still be available for you to use, it's preinstalled as a teaser. Check your applications folder.

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

keep in mind that the word test drive is only good for something like 7-10 days though.

4. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

Yes, Word for OS X can open rtf files. I'm not sure why you would choose to keep your documents in rtf format.

5. lordcoca

I like to write with wordpad :hs: On a machine running windows 95 :hs: It's quiet and i like it :o

Maybe if I moved the files to my windows xp machine and converted them to word documents, then transferred them over? I'll try that next time I'm near all 3 machines :hs:

6. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

RTF is a fairly standard format (far more standard that .doc). You shouldn't have any trouble opening it with textedit, let alone Office.

7. lordcoca

Well I did have problems :squint:

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

formatting still tends to get fucked up though.

9. lordcoca

MS Word successfully managed to convert my file, formatting and all - at least as far as I could tell. Most of the other programs I used had trouble bolding and italicising text, Word was able to convert the bolding, but I'll read through my stuff to see if there's any other discrepancies. But so far, Word seems to be the best :eek3:

10. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

wouldnt open office suffice?