is there hope?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by bama3300, Aug 15, 2004.

1. bama3300

bama3300 Guest

scottwax, i found a super deal on a early 80's cj-7, if you remember/have seen the old golden eagle/renegade ones, you may know about the original brown paint job it has. i love that brown paint, but the bad thing about this jeep is the lady i bought it from said her grandson wanted it black, so he spraypainted over the brown. i havent touched the paint yet, is there any way i could get the black paint (very thin in some places) off without harming the brown underneath? the interior is still brown, and looks great, and someplaces on the outside luckily didnt get touched, but for the most part 95% spray can black.

:x: scottwax :x:

2. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

1500+ grit wet sand.....TAKE YOUR TIME....take a day to do a door...or take a week. you can get it back to brown. thats the only way i could tell you to go about doing it. just take your time, once your down to the brown your gonna have to work on it alot...but scott can take it from there

[/1yrautobodyexperience]

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

It is hard to say for sure if you can completely remove the black paint without also removing too much of the brown to require a repaint. Priest Tango's idea is sound, it will all depend on how much brown paint is actually on the Jeep. After removing all the black paint, you still need enough of the brown to buff out the sanding marks, polish and seal the paint.

4. bama3300

bama3300 Guest

thanks to both of you, thankfully this isnt a daily driver, therefore it sits behind my house. i guess a half case of fosters and some 1500 grit/patience will do. is there any secret to wetsanding? i know/heard you're supposed to soak the paper, but do i just soak in water? maybe add a little squirt of dawn?

5. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

2 drops of dawn in a bucket and no more

Soak the paper overnight

Put the solution in a spray bottle and SPRAY LIBERALLY - never let it run dry.

Also keep your sanding in the direction of airflow and never change directions.

Sense spraypaint usually goes on thick I would start with 2000 grit - then when the brown starts peaking out - switch to 1500.

Meguiars makes some AWESOME wetsanding paper - the friction material is very uniform and won't leave scratches.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

www.meguiars.com has a downloadable wetsanding video, and Don is right, their Uni-Grit system is excellent!

7. Biggg Willy

Biggg Willy New Member

Wait a minute, I'm definetly not a pro (you guys would cry if you saw my car :hs: ) but would you not start with 1500 (or 1000 if you're lazy) then move up to the higher grits?

8. Priest Tango

yes 1500 then 2000

you could also use the hose as the source of water....i see no purpose of the TWO WHOLE DROPS of dawn in the ONE BUCKETFUL of water....

9. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

:uh:

Oops! - I meant to say start with 1500, then when the brown started peaking out switch to 2000.

10. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

It acts as a lubricant to help prevent scratching -

It also lowers the surface tension of the water and allows it to work into the grit better.

11. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

:werd:

Don't use that crap they sell at pep boys

12. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

When wetsanding you want to go in all directions. This is as to level the paint in all directions, and not just two. It makes for a more even surface.

:)

edit: I just saw that meguiars video. It perturbs me that they say to only go in one direction. Hum.

edit edit: maybe I'm just thinking all directiosn when sanding out a chip that was touched up. :hs:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  13. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

uhh dude,

it can only be smooth up or down - think about that - there are only high points and low points.

Direction does not matter.

YES - only go in one direction with airflow and don't change - or else you will haze up the paint with scratches.

14. RedGoober4Life

uhh dude. If you're leveling out chips, there is more then one direction to go in (they form a bump). Thus, all directions.

And the cars I've done and seen done like this turned out awesome. Infact, go to ddetail.com/gallery and take a look at the VR-4 pictures.

15. Priest Tango

i wetsand in all directions, like youre supposed to :o

16. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

You're only supposed to go in different directions when you are color sanding before you put on the clearcoat.

For all other wetsanding stay in one direction

17. RedGoober4Life

I'm going to talk to bodyshop people and ask them. I know Tom has taken body shop classes but I want to get the know know know.

18. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

When wetsanding a fibreglass mold that you will use to make the carbon fiber body of your racecar, go in a circular motion.

and use a SPRAY PVA as a release agent, don't paint it on.

i know this is sorta off topic, but i wanted to add in the only experience i have wetsanding. no, that's a lie. i wetsanded the body of the race car too