Is there ANYWAY to find out the identity of a hotmail user?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fordgasm, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

One of my "friends" is emailing my gf from a hotmail email. We obviously have no idea which it is because they all are denying it. Is there ANY way to get an IP from a hotmail acocunt? Keep in mine that Im not too computer savvy.

2. Nocera

Nocera ...

The sender's IP address is attached to all of your incoming email addresses. What mail client is she using to view her email? If it's Outlook, open up the message and then go to View --> Options --> Internet Headers. You'll see probably 2-3 lines that start with "Received From:" The line that is furthest down in the list of headers will be the IP address of the sender.

Example:
    Received: from [24.186.145.202] by mail3983.hotmail.com

24.186.145.202 is the sender IP address.

If she's also using hotmail, open up the message and click the "options" link in the top right corner. Then click "Mail Display Settings" and set "Message Headers" to advanced. Click OK and open up the message again.

3. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

shes using cox.net

4. Nocera

Nocera ...

She'll have to search around and find the message headers. I don't know their webmail interface.

5. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

IIRC you can't view email headers in most (all?) webmail programs. What you're gonna have to do set up Outlook Express (if she's running windows it should be on there) to access the Cox mail server, then view the headers in that.

To simplify tracing the email you can download Email Tracker Pro from http://visualroute.com , but you need the headers in order to use it

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Even hotmail allows you to see headers :rolleyes:

7. Up All Night

Well maybe theres an option to do it, the thing is hotmail is a dedicated webmail service and most ISP's offer webmail as a convenience, not supposed to be the main method of accessing emails...i know with mine i cant get the headers

8. 5Gen_Prelude

I've honestly never seen an email service that strips the headers, save for the one my cell phone uses (seeing as that would seriously eat up all of the space for the message). But my work email's webmail I can see them too (not hosted by us).

9. Up All Night

Mine doesnt strip the headers, theres just no option to show them on the webmail client:rolleyes:

10. 5Gen_Prelude

And you know they're not stripped because... you can't see them? That means they're stripped. What other programs sometimes do is parse the headers and put them in another location (like outlook does). Other's simply just strip them.