Is there anything wrong with what im doing? v. cutting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thisgsx, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Im new to all this so please any help is much appreciated!

My stats are 5'6" @ 150lbs. I dont know my bf% yet, but I will find out as soon as I receive the fat calipers I ordered.

I work out 4x a week in the mornings, cardio 4x a week at night (just started), 30 min session on a stationary bike, 5 min warm up at #1, 20 min on #2, and 5 min on #1 to cool down. The settings are based on a 1-10 scale, 1 being the lightest, 10 being the hardest.

Here's a typcal days meal:

meal 1 (10am): 1 cup oatmeal, 1 can tuna

10:30am - work out
    meal 2 (~11:30am): post workout meal - 4 scoops CytoGainer in 10oz water

meal 3 (2:30pm): boiled tilapia, 1 slice whole wheat bread

meal 4 (5:30pm): grilled steak, 1 slice whole wheat bread

meal 5 (7:30pm): grilled chicken, ~2 cups salad w/ fat free italian dressing

12:30am - cardio - stationary bike, 30min
    meal 6 (1am: post cardio meal - 1 cup oatmeal, 1 can tuna

Based on the BMR calculator my BMR is 1655.1 and based on the Harris Benedict Formula (If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55), my total caloric intake for a day is 2565.4 to maintain my weight. Since Im cutting, Im reducing my caloric intake by 500, so my total should be around 2065 calories.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

Now based on Fitday.com, my total calorica intake is:
    Cals Fat Carb Prot
    2177 42 172 269

Based on what Im eating for the day, is it a good meal plan? Is there anything I should add/drop/switch?

Thanks in advance.

2. pripub

pripub Guest

looks pretty solid. dont let the scale fool you. judge your progress with mirrors ONLY

3. Plan B

Plan B New Member

at 5'6", 150lbs i wouldn't use a scale at all, its hardly going to move at this point

just go by the mirror

4. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Only thing you should worry about while cutting is what the calipers tell you and like the poster above me said what you see in the mirror. At 5'6 150 lbs I would doubt you have that much bodyfat though. Why are you cutting? I mean it's your body, do what you want with it but why not bulk a little first? Unless you're wanting that skinny cut look.

5. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

Tuna for breakfast lulz Why didn't I think of that?

6. knucks

knucks Active Member

I guess it's "wrong" to be cutting at 150lbs, but hey, to each his own.

7. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

I didn't say it's wrong. Protein is protein. I just wouldn't enjoy getting up in the morning and cracking open a can of tuna with my oatmeal.:dunno:

8. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

I got used to it. :drool:

And the reason Im cutting is because Im going on a cruise in April.

9. evh

evh Active Member

fuck the tuna in the morning dude, have a protein shake w/water instead :ugh:.
    or even the elite oats i recommended. 2.5g fat/35g protein/25g carbs.

other than that, diet looks solid.

10. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

I need to have food in morning otherwise I feel like crap. Elite oats looks good for what it is, but it's to expensive.

Now I know that protein and caloric intake has to be at a certain amount, but what about carbs and fats? What amount should I be aiming for?

11. evh

evh Active Member

same. i'm not saying ditch breakfast, just tuna in the morning... i couldn't stomach that personally, lol. yes, the elite oats are expensive. they're so fucking tasty though. pick up one box and try it out. i guarantee you'll love it. so quick and so good. i have the bananna nut flavor right now.

carbs i'd say go for about 125-150g if you're 150-155 lbs. the key is low carbs/high protein/moderate fat if you wanna shed the bf.

i'd say 40g-50g of fat as well.

ideally, you should try to consume the bulk of your carbs at breakfast, and post workout. post workout is extremely important, and if you really wanna maximize your gains, have a liquid meal with about 60g of carbs, 35-40g of protein, and as fat free as possible IMMEDIATELY post work out. have a good portion of those carbs simple carbs, sugar is okay here. this is pretty common knowledge, but the simple carbs will cause a spike in blood sugar, causing you to release insulin, which puts your body in "storage mode", persay. in simple terms, your body is going to take that meal you just ate, and pump the nutrients/energy from it directly back into your muscles in the form of glycogen. you just used all your glycogen stores from working out, it's very beneficial and stops catabolism.

anyways,
    what you have now looks pretty good. also, do cardio in the morning before eating breakfast. if you can't do that, do cardio directly after working out instead. this is key to burning fat, and also increases growth hormone production.

sorry for the overly long post. good luck with everything. i've got a trip to the florida keys in april, i'm doing the same thing right now.

btw, what i recommended as far as fat/carb intake #s will cause you to lose fat at a pretty quick rate. you could up the numbers a bit, depending on your metabolism/body type/personal liking

12. Reign

Reign Banned

This true, I've been cutting for the last month, haven't lost a pound but I'm definitely starting to look leaner and my pants are fitting better.

13. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Thanks a lot man! As far as doing cardio directly after working out, should I consume the whey shake right after working out or after cardio?

14. evh

evh Active Member

anytime man.

shake should be consumed after doing the cardio.

also, cardio should be light intensity for about 20-40 min tops. give an effort, but be at a pace where you'd be able to carry light conversation while exercising.

the reason for doing cardio after your workout is because again, that's when your glycogen levels are very low. (due to working out). this body state is similar to when you wake up in the morning, and haven't eaten for the 8 hours you've been sleeping. it's not quite the same, but it'll do if you can't do cardio after waking up before breakfast.

A good food supplement to take is ABB Mass + Recovery. It has 380 cals/35g protein/60g carbs/0g fat. it's a very nice balance, and it's a very dense drink, meaning it's not a lot of liquid to consume at all. it's also very easy to carry around and drink after the cardio. this drink could also be consumed as breakfast as well, for example if you did cardio in the morning before breakfast, but didn't work out yet. one thing that's worth noting is that the taste is not that great. it tastes rather sweet, even though it has 0g sugar, and gives a slight tingle when going down. it's nothing intolerable, but it's just not something that'd you want to be tasting. but whatever, it's a great supplement.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  15. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

thanks, i'll look into it and maybe give it a go and see how things go. anyways, my calipers just came in today and my results are not so good. :wtc:

Midsection - 18%
    tris - 8%
    chest - 10%
    quads/calves - 16%

funny thing is, im skinny as fuck. :wtc:

16. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

wow, subscribing to this thread.

i'm 5'6" 145 and if i'd have to guess just from mirror, i'd say my BF is about the same as yours if not slightly higher.

interested in seeing how this diet works out for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.