GUN Is there anything REALLY wrong with Beretta handguns??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Nov 19, 2003.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

OK, let me preface my post by saying that I went to the range and dropped some cash to testfire the P99, Glock, Beretta 92 and the XD all in 9mm. Of all of them were in the price range I want to stay in and of all of them the Beretta 92 was the most comfortable for me to shoot. All I see in these posts pertaining to handguns deals with the polymer composite frames and such and very little on all aluminum/steel construction. In my mind the latter would logically be more durable.

My question is this: Is there really anything wrong with the Beretta? Your thoughts would be appreciated and unless seriously swayed otherwise I will most likely be purchasing one. The Elite II if I can swing it with X-Mas cash:

[​IMG]

If not then it will probaby be the Vertec model. All I ask is that you not reply with "Beretta= teh shitty" or variations of without backing up your statement with personal usage/ownership stories.

2. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

IB PTslamsanythingthatisn'tWalther

3. RRTX

RRTX New Member

The 92F (M9) was my issue weapon for a while in the Army. I personally didn't like the way it fit my hand, the grip was too fat for my tastes. I also didn't care for the way it shot, but my opinion on that is flawed since every one I fired had been way overused. I do know a lot of people that love them though, so I don't think they are all that bad, just not my preference.

4. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

I have had limited experience with Beretta's once having shot my friends 92fs stainless in 9mm. In my opinion the gun was accurate, fed the ammunition used reliably, and fit very comfortably in my hands. The stainless finish was also quite attractive and I have a feeling that one of these guns will make its way into my collection at some point in the future.

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Personally i think they're too large, and they should have higher capacity given their size.

Otherwise, they're good weapons.

6. Possum Stomper

15 rounds is not alot?

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I think Beretta makes a damn fine pistol.

8. Infrastructure

Infrastructure New Member

Yes there really is something wrong with beretta handguns. THEY ARE SHIT!

9. texchef

texchef Guest

Wow, I was wondering how may replies I would read before I could ignore one. Can you tell me WHY you think they are shit or dd you just waste your time clicking mouse buttons and typing letters??

10. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

:rofl:

11. kellyclan

Glock has 17-19 in a package the same size and lighter weight. The Beretta 96 is the same size as the 92, yet only holds 11rd of .40. Similar size .40's hold 13-15. Just a minor caveat. :dunno:

12. texchef

texchef Guest

I'm curious if the USMC were using Glock or HK if they would be having this same issues you found with the M9. I'm sure that after 10's of thousands of rounds and the kind of abuse that the military can give to guns the same could happen to any one of the good ones. :dunno:

13. Infrastructure

I have spent plenty of time with the beretta M9 and that weapon was a piece of shit. I was a small arms and assault weapons instructor in the marine corps and logged many hours on the pistol range with the M9. As pervisanathema stated they would constantly jam, fail to eject spent casings, and one the freakin slide shot off right after a round was fired through it.

You can do far better than a beretta. Do yourself a favor and look at maybe a walther p99 9mm not 40, or a springfield xd-40. stay away from beretta period...just my $0.02

14. KW

KW Guest

My own experience with the couple Beretta's I have shot is that they are nice solid guns. My big objection with them was that they way they fit in my hand, I was constantly droping the mag by accident. If you like the way they shoot better then the other guns you've tried, that is the most important thing.

15. texchef

texchef Guest

I guess what is another attractive point about the 92 is the .22lr conversion that is available. That would be a nice feature to have available for plinking. If the Walther or others have the same feature then I will look into those to keep my options open.

16. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

just to let you guys know, the 92fs and the glock are the only two pistols that passed the FBI's torture test, which was the one with the freezing and dropping, and submerging and all that crap. i would choose glock over beretta for simplicity, and capacity, and weight, and size, and concealability. but, berettas are really nice, and the ones that aren't abused do perform well.

17. Possum Stomper

link to said info?:x:
    what other pistols were in the test?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  18. jrmy

jrmy Guest

nope........very well made handguns!

19. Infrastructure

:cool: oh yeah....SAWIC was impressive

20. kellyclan

Seems the military has been having trouble with the M9's failing to feed in the MidEast too. Been fixing them up with new magazines and/or mag springs. Duh? Nobody ever told them springs wear out?

Doesn't matter how well made it is, metal subjected to heat and friction wears out. Some of the M9 mags i've seen were in horrible shape, i couldn't believe the guys telling me they worked as well as they did. :ugh: And they were still in service. :ugh:x3.14^

21. texchef

texchef Guest

Do the polymer framed guns not have those problems? They still have steel slides and barrels and metal springs, right?

22. kellyclan

Yeah, i know the fault isn't with the end user, but some of the people along the way are really scary.

Buddy of mine got chewed out for using 92F mags i got him. His CO knew they weren't Army M9 magazines how? Because they worked. :doh: Tried to tell him these "more reliable, civilian market" mags are "prone to breakage" compared to the military magazines. :ugh: i suggested my friend request a transfer, quick. :o

tex, the polymer frame guns all have metal rails set in the frame for the slide to move on. So the metal-on-metal rules still apply. Though the polymer has better lubricating properties, its melting point is much lower than metal, so it would quickly deform and become unusable if you tried to mate a metal slide directly to a poly frame.

23. texchef

texchef Guest

Which CZ75? I looked on thier website and there are about 5 models of the CZ. Where do they fall price-wise??

24. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

oh, by the way, i shoot better with a 92FS than i do with any other pistol, except an SW629.

25. texchef

texchef Guest

I'm seeing the CZs on gunbroker for $399 "buy it now". I guess that is a good price. About $150 less than the Beretta. I'm kinda startin to dig the style of this gun, especially the two-toned and brushed nickel. Hate to be shallow but the way the gun looks is kinda important to me. Plus I see from the website that there is a .22lr conversion available too. Coooool.