Is there anyone here who hates indie music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Falconer, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Really, I would just like to meet one person.

Everyone I know fucking loves this horribly shitty genre. If I have to hear one more person talk about what a "great" band Modest Mouse or the White Stripes are I'm going to kill myself.

2. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

Indie isn't a genre

Independent music, often shortened to indie music or "indie", is a term used to describe independence from major commercial record labels and an autonomous, Do-It-Yourself approach to recording and publishing.

There is a lot of different genres within indie labels.

Why get so stressed out about music others like and that you don't like. Do your friends force you to listen to it? Just find the music you like and let your ears be happy.

3. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

modest mouse and the white stripes are "great" bands. just how "great?"
    so "great."

here's hoping you live up to your promise

4. edward_cullen

edward_cullen Unemployed Since 08

Indie music is artistically talented musicians who create music that is from the heart and soul, the music is pure in the sense that it has not been tainted by corporate influence or direction.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Ok.

Two questions, then:

1. What "genre" are Modest Mouse and the White Stripes? When I think of indie music I think of bands that sound like them. I think that colloquially, "indie" serves as the term that describes that genre and most people will know what you're talking about. That being said, for the sake of correctness I would like to know what the genre is actually called.

2. Is there anyone here who hates those bands? I just need one person to restore my faith that not everyone likes that genre (whatever it is called) of music.

6. PunkInDrublic

PunkInDrublic Active Member

you hate a classification of music with extremely varied styles huh? cool.

ie modest mouse and white stripes are incredibly different styles of music.

it sounds like you just hate rock music, if you want to be that general

7. PunkInDrublic

PunkInDrublic Active Member

your user name is really not helping the credibility of your statement

8. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

this thread is good. i like it.

9. Zeromancer

/yourself

10. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

you shouldn't argue with edward. he's seasoned and respected. you'll end up leaving OT forever because of him.

he also loves sparkley boy dicks.

11. Poz_Dispenser

Poz_Dispenser New Member

I hate Indie music.

I agree with the OP.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

"Rock" is a huge genre. I'm looking for a bit more specifics that "MM and the White Stripes are rock."

Billy Joel is also rock. So is KISS. Yet those bands sound nothing alike.

There's a similar thread running through the music styles of MM, the White Stripes, and most of the other "the" bands. I'm trying to isolate and figure out what it is/what it's called so I know what I'm talking about next time this conversation comes up since apparently hipsters get all pissy when you refer to a genre as "indie" (despite the fact that everyone knows exactly when you mean when you say "indie music"):

There are independent metal bands, independent rap artists, and independent country musicians, yet "indie music" doesn't refer to metal, rap, or country. It refers to that pseudo-70s sound and simplistic songs and horrible vocals (in my opinion, I've never heard an "indie band" whose singer was good), and hell, they even all have a similar image of frappucino glasses, button up shirts, sometimes cardigans, and tight jeans. It screams "look at me, I'm the unassuming quiet kid from school." (note to the hipsters who are offended: I'm not saying music can't have an image: most music does have an image. I'm quantifying the "indie" image as I see it).

I feel like even when they get on major record labels (and thus technically lose their "indie" classification since they're by definition no longer independent), they keep that recorded-at-home-on-cheap-equipment sound (hence the "pseudo-70s" classification above). But it doesn't matter, because even if they were recorded with hi-fidelity sound their music would still suck because musically, 99% of it sucks. (my opinion, of course)

It drives me nuts that other people don't understand this, but music is and will always be subjective so you cannot "convince" anyone that a band is "good" or "bad" anymore than you can convince someone that a painting is good or bad. All the objective arguments like recording quality, technical ability, and talent are quantifiable, but just because a band is talented or untalented doesn't mean people will like them or not like them.

I, for one, will be glad when this fad is over.

13. A Juggalo

A Juggalo Active Member

:rofl:

14. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

If you google most of the supposed indie artists you'll find that they will be linked to one of the big record companies therefore making them un-independent at every step.

edward_cullen is right, in a perfect world indie music would be exactly what he said... only not so gayly put.

15. Jimeigh

i don't understand how you don't like modest mouse. i mean, really?

and i can't say that i've noticed "indie" is a fad right now, either.

16. Jimeigh

on the other hand i've definitely noticed that Lady Gaga is a fad. is that more your speed?

17. Jimeigh

but maybe i can sympathize with you in this way. everyone likes the red hot chili peppers, and i don't understand why. they have perhaps mastered the art of being bland and boring. they are the wonder bread and spam of music. how are they so popular?

18. A Juggalo

A Juggalo Active Member

i dont like RHCP either. but none of you like what i listen to anyway so:dunno:

19. Zeromancer

I used to like them when I was in high school.
    Not now

20. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I hate lots of music

21. Zeromancer

but does it make you want to kill yourself :mamoru:

22. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

I know what you are saying, and I will honestly say that I think it is tripe. I fucking hate "indie" music.

23. surlybot

surlybot you cool maaaaaaannn?

Modest Mouse and the White Stripes suck.

24. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

There was a thread in the main forum where I was talking about not liking them and someone suggested some songs from their older albums and told me to listen to them. They suggested 3 or 4 songs. I listened to them and then tried to explain what it was I didn't like about each song.

Was that you? I honestly don't remember who it was.

The thing is, even though I can quantify what I don't like about it, music is subjective so it's really not going to do any good.

Overall, I don't like Modest Mouse because:

- I don't like the singer's voice. "March Into The Sea" is about the worst thing I've ever heard vocally in my life. While a bad singer can potentially ruin a band's sound, I can usually overlook singing if the music is good.

- I don't like their music. I don't like the sound of the instruments, I don't like the way it is engineered (which doesn't even matter, because even a good band with poor recording quality is still listenable).

- I don't think their songs are very melodic. In fact, they're often boring. It's like I can't stay interested in the song. I imagine a band of musical noobs practicing in their garage when I hear MM. I'm sure they're passionate and angry at the establishment or whatever indie bands sing about, it's just I think maybe they should stick to poetry rather than trying to write music.

- I don't think their songs are well written. It's usually a couple chords, usually haphazardly chosen. I don't care about what is happening in the songs. There's no anticipation. There's nothing that makes me think "I love this song" or "holy shit what a sweet resolution." Hell, there's not even enough composition to get to the point where something needs to be resolved in the first place. There's no vocal harmony. There's no instrumental harmony. There's no music theory. There's no intelligible progression. (not saying a song needs all of these things to be good... Nirvana's music is pretty simple and I still enjoy a lot of it... but shit, there needs to be something to a song...)

- I can't say it's simplistic without getting flamed by people who insist that simple music has "feeling" and complex music is "boring" so I won't go there.

- Suffice to say, their music doesn't do anything for me on a mental, emotional, or intellectual basis. Some songs move me to tears, other songs completely blow my mind; Modest Mouse gives me a tooth ache. It's like it's actually painful to listen to.

There is one exception to all of that: I think "Missed the Boat" is a damn groovy song. The singer's voice is tolerable and the composition is pretty good overall. I'm not sure what happened with that... it's like they messed up and accidentally wrote a good song.

Everyone I meet loves it.

No, for the most part I can't stand pop music, and Lady Gaga is no exception.

RHCP? That's one of those bands where I hear one of their songs and I don't love it but I don't hate it. I'm just like "oh, a RHCP song." Unless it's one of their groovy songs, of which they have a few. Overall I'd be inclined to agree with you. A lot of their songs are basically the same.

RHCP is popular because they're radio friendly and easy for non-musicians to appreciate :dunno: I haven't heard too much "great" music on the radio anyway.

Of course, saying that will lead to two camps:

1) The people who say radio music is simple because most people can't appreciate good music (this is true)

2) The people who incorrectly extrapolate from #1 that any music that isn't on the radio must therefore be good, and then try to convince you that their unsigned indie band friends are "brilliant" when really the guitarist is just playing one chord over and over on top of the drummer's unchanging beat for 3 minutes while the singer screams into the mic about... whatever indie songs are about.

Of course, this isn't an argument about whether "getting signed" or record sales are linearly proportional to "talent" (which is obviously false). Everyone knows some dude who plays guitar and who is actually good (I mean actually good, not the fratboy who can play some Coldplay or Oasis songs at parties and impress the masses), significantly better than all the shit you hear on the radio, yet some jackass always says "then why isn't he on the radio?"

Anyway, it's not that I have anything against Modest Mouse, it's just that when I hear their songs (except for "Missed the Boat") it literally flips all the "annoyed" switches in my brain. I really, really don't like anything at all about their music. I'd rather work in silence all day than have even one of their songs in a playlist.

I don't give a shit if other people like them, I just don't understand how or why. It would be boring if everyone liked the same music.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  25. Zeromancer

^^^I also don't like alot of singers in bands which is why I listen to more instrumental post rock/metal/sludge type of music.