WEB is there any way to hide your code?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

hypothetically say you make an awesome site and you don't want some douchenuts coming along and stealing it. Is there a way to hide your code somehow?

probably not or everyone would already do it, huh.

if you were to make a ridiculously complicated nesting of <?php include>s, would that work?

Can search engines still pick up code that is nested in .php files? Like if your index.php page just said "welcome" and all the other content came from referenced .phps, would the search engines pick up any of that and associate it with your site, or would you only get indexed with "welcome" as your only content?

2. matrixan

matrixan New Member

3. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

nobody will see your php code.

what they can see is the html that your php code produces, and there's no way to stop that

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

looks like .php just displays as .html in a view source huh.

5. 07

07 18-1

you can block right clicks and such... but ... doesn't really matter. if someone wants it, they will get it.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

The only solution I've thought of is to make it super complicated with lots of CSS, but that will only stop idiots like me from copying it.

I just don't want some tool to copy my site format and then sell it as some template for only $47 (strikethrough), only $37 (strikethrough), ONLY $27 LIMITED TIME OFFER (javascript countdown timer) on AM sites.

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

8. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

:hsugh: so you want to hide some code you stole in the first place? that needs to be decoded via javascript? cool story bro

9. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

damn falconer, i thought i bounced all over the place you are way worse than me bro lol

10. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

:rofl:

This

Code:
    <html>
    <head></head>
    <body>
    <p>Hello world!</p>
    </body>
    </html>
    Becomes:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">document.write('\u003c\u0068\u0074\u006d\u006c\u003e\u000a\u003c\u0068\u0065\u0061\u0064\u003e\u003c\u002f\u0068\u0065\u0061\u0064\u003e\u000a\u003c\u0062\u006f\u0064\u0079\u003e\u000a\u003c\u0070\u003e\u0048\u0065\u006c\u006c\u006f\u0020\u0077\u006f\u0072\u006c\u0064\u0021\u003c\u002f\u0070\u003e\u000a\u003c\u002f\u0062\u006f\u0064\u0079\u003e\u000a\u003c\u002f\u0068\u0074\u006d\u006c\u003e')</script>
    With PHP though, your code that actually makes the page dynamic, like loops, nesting, variables, etc, etc, doesn't get printed to the browser. The browser will interpret the stuff within the "echo" commands.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I didn't steal any code. Where did you get that from?

I didn't like WP so I spent the last 5 hours making the site layout I wanted by hand.

It's a ton of nested tables but the display is perfect.

I know tables suck but I cannot grasp CSS positioning to save my life. I spent two entire days doing nothing but studying and playing around with CSS and I could not even get a basic layout with 3 boxes to appear where I wanted them (well, I did eventually get it to appear how I wanted in IE, but not FF... but it was so basic, something that would've taken 2 seconds to do with tables). And when I finally got it to appear correctly in one browser, I didn't understand why. And then there's the issue of keeping text bound within the boxes. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. I like tables because their boundaries are concrete like a fucking fortress that nothing gets through: not pics, not text, not any bullshit. And they go (and stay) where you tell them to. In FF and IE.

Anyway, since my site is all tables, it would be easy for someone to copy (as opposed to CSS sites which are hard to copy and modify, at least if you're an idiot like me). And since I'm getting into AM now, there's going to be a million noobs from WF and DP encountering my awesome-looking site and probably stealing it and using it or selling it as a "WSO special deal" or whatever they call them in a thread called "HOW I MADE $600k in 2008 - $27 templates LIMITED TIME ONLY!"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  12. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

you did not give wordpress enough time and you made the mistake of using the default theme

if you can code shit by tables, you can learn to use wordpress properly, i am still learning everyday using it, and I am getting better with it, but my skills were limited in the beginning, and you can ask kingtoad, I have come a long way in a year

13. Major Tom

Major Tom OT Supporter

Coding using tables is a lot more difficult than using CSS. You're just set in your ways.

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I just have some mental block where I cannot understand CSS box positioning. I can't get anything to appear where I want it. I'm sure it's not hard, but every time I try to learn it, I end up scratching my head and not understanding why something is or isn't working right.

I'll agree with you that tables are probably more difficult, because sometimes to get something to look correct you have to add a bunch of tiny little rows and columns, which is annoying and tedious. What could be done with one CSS "box" often takes 4 or 5 tables. And if you want some vertical line that only goes up 75% of the way between two columns, you have to add another like 1px column and manually insert the image in there, and that's dumb. But that's the only way I can get stuff to work.

The first site that I built, I spent 4 days trying to use CSS and I couldn't get it right. I finally said fuck it and made it with tables in an hour :dunno: Gets the job done.

Maybe I just haven't found a good source of instruction for CSS. I've been through the tutorials at w3schools probably 15 times. I understand how to change fonts and headers and all that stuff, I just don't understand how to put stuff where you want it. The rest of my "learning" comes from viewing people's sources and copying their html and css codes into Dreamweaver and looking at it, except dreamweaver's WYSIWYG preview screen doesn't display stuff correctly most of the time, so I'm looking at a bunch of crap, and then when I hit "preview in browser" it looks correct. But I don't get it. I'll say "ok, now I want to move this box over there" and nothing that I try works. Float = right; Uh, why did that box just drop underneath everything else? I said float = RIGHT, not float = bottom. Or I'll go to add another box at the bottom, and it will work, but then the header at the top is now shifted all the way to the right, off the screen. wtf? That stuff doesn't happen with tables.

</pouting>

15. nida

nida Guest

:rofl:

bro no one will steal your design, and if they do I guarantee you the site using it will not be any better than your own.

16. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

you're not going to learn css in a few days. nobody is going to steal your designs, stop being paranoid.

17. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

:rofl: @ you copying other people. ironing.

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ that makes me feel better.

i learned html in a day or two and assumed that CSS would be the same way.

19. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

html is html, meta, body, table, tr, td, b, i, em, marquee, blink. that took you a day? :mamoru:

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i look at other people's code to learn. I don't copy their layouts and publish them.

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I was 14 :dunno: