Is there any way to better isolate pecs during certain exersizes?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by mikeskillz, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

theres a number of exersizes that i do trying to target my pecs, but it seems like my arms are always the limiting factor. for example, if im doing pushups my shoulders/tri's give out before i start to feel any burn in my chest; same with benching.

are there any methods or things i can do to better work out my chest?

2. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Do flys first. It works, well.

3. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

i'll give it a shot. though fly's cause my shoulder to make interesting noises sometimes.

4. giz

giz Active Member

I feel like I have a hard time isolating my pecs as well. For me, it's usually my shoulders feel like they get the workout.

I experimented yesterday with clenching my shoulder blades together on bench, seemed to work a bit.

5. Drewski

Drewski New Member

pre-fatigue FTW

6. Plan B

Plan B New Member

you're doing it wrong.jpg

7. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

it's all about form and mind connection

experiment with different grips, shoulder position, etc.

8. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I have to agree. I've been doing this for chest this week. Even though I can only bench vagina numbers after preexhausting, I feel the movement much more in my chest than usual.

9. CPop

CPop New Member

I am always irritated by the 185lb benchers that pre-fatigue so they get more chest work. If this is you, get stronger, don't worry about pre-fatigue. I've never seen a big bencher that was small. I have seen lots of pre-fatigue, stability ball, dumbbell only, listen to air supply while doing kickbacks guys that are just plain weak.

This isn't to say that pre-fatiguing doesn't have its place. It's just that I think it should not be used often.

Another thing to think about is that maybe your triceps are weak and holding you back from benching bigger numbers. Work on them to bring their level up to that which you think your chest can handle, do not bring the chest strength level down...

Also pause work on bench tends to light up the chest.

10. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

at what bench weight should one use pre-fatigue?

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I would say it should depend on your bw. If you weigh 200 and are benching 185, don't pre-fatigue. If you weigh 100 and are benching 185 for reps, maybe.

12. CPop

CPop New Member

You may have missed what I'm saying there; I don't think you should pre-fatigue except every now and then just to switch things up.

If I had to choose a place where you can start experimenting... I'd say if you're pressing (raw) less than 1.5x bw, go back to ass bustin' basics, don't worry about fancy methods or pre-fatigue, just get strong.

This is mostly address to the guys that are 170 and benching 205 for a few reps, or 190 and doing 185 for 5. There are two of them in the gym where I work out now and it annoys me. Also, base it on how fast you're gaining. If you give it a try and your bench goes up 20lbs in a month, stick with it. If you gain 10lbs bodyweight then stick with it. If somone who hasn't seen you in 2 months thinks your'e about the same size/strength... shitcan it.

13. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

thanks... yeah i was thinking bw vs. bench strength

14. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

theres some good info in this thread, but i think this is most accurate for me. i'll just be patient and wait for my tris to develope a bit more.

thanks

15. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

That is how you SHOULD be benching anyways.

16. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

if you have to, close your eyes (spotter might be a good idea), and focus on squeezing your chest to move the weight. It might take time, but its DEFINATELY possible.

17. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

I think a lot of people are overlooking the key point. You have to concentrate on using your chest, not simply using whatever gets the weight up.

do not "rip the bar apart", squeeze your hands together as hard as you can through the entire movement.

concentrate on feeling it in your chest for every inch of rom even if it means you have to lighten up the weight a bit. If you are still feeling it more someplace else other then your chest, you are doing it wrong. change something.

I tried the "just lift big and you will get big" shit and it didn't work worth a damn.

18. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

I couldn't disagree more. The reason his tris are giving out before his chest is not that his chest is strong, the reason is that hes using his tri's to move the weight on whats supposed to be a mainly chest exercise.

there are plenty of exercises for targeting tris, no need to make regular grip bench press one of them at the expense of your chest.

19. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

try doing cable flies

20. CPop

CPop New Member

You are sorely mistaken if you think that regular grip bench press isn't a huge tricep workout. I disagree that it's supposed to be a "mainly chest" exercise; the simple mechanics of a bench press is that it's chest and lats (lats only if you do it correctly) immediately off the chest transitioning to primarily triceps at lockout.

I do agree that if his chest strength went up he would have greater speed at his sticking point, carrying through to the lockout. You seem to think that I'm advocating ignoring the chest -I am not. He shouldn't neglect the chest, but simple pause work, heavy incline, etc will all work the chest sufficiently. I feel strongly that pre-exhaustion before a heavy compound exercise is a bad idea to make a habit, but if I need extra off the chest strength you can bet I do some more chest work. It is very common for the triceps to be a weak point in the bench press. I'd say 99% of the guys I train all have weak triceps. Heck, I have "weak" triceps and I've benched 650. Chest strength -even raw for you raw doggers out there- tends to come a little easier than triceps strength.

You may have tried the "just lift big and you'll get big" and not got results, but who you are, what you did and how you did it will all make giant differences.

21. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

as has been said previously, flys are the answer.

22. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

another reason why I feel DB is 10x better than BB and much less taxing on the shoulders

23. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (treo 700wx: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

I think bigdamnray was the one that said the exact opposite. to try and pull the bar apart

24. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

this is a bit corny but it seems to work. though my reps are a lot slower.

25. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I like to slap my pecs before heavy sets to get the blood flowing into them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.