is there any reason not to do this ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Nov 4, 2006.

1. overclock an x6800 a decent bit, overclock a very good gpu, and raid two raptors together

??????

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Isn't the gpu, the x6800?

[​IMG]

3. hyukki

hyukki ._.

It seems like you haven't been keeping up to date with the computer parts. :mamoru:It's okay though, I haven't been keeping up with the technological advances lately either but I just know this much:
    X6800 is a processor.
    Intel core 2 Extreme X6800. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Ouch...

I was thinking about gforce cards.

"He shoots - he gets the ball stuffed down his throat"

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Lol, I was thinking it was a gfx card too. (no, I absolutely do not try to keep up to date with that stuff)

So a reason not to overclock an Intel core 2 Extreme X6800 and a "very good gpu"?, well it seems to me they're probably already about 10 times faster than the average computer user will require..

I tend to have a lot of faith in what these kinda components can do without needing to be overclocked so I'd just let 'em run as they are and take away a few annoying fans.

Mightn't get you that extra 10 marks in 3d mark 2006 or pc mark or w/e, but I'm sure you'd live.

Raiding 2 raptors doesn't seem like a bad idea. I'd love to be able to do that.

6. hyukki

hyukki ._.

:rofl: Yeah. I thought it was a geforce as well. I just had to check and make sure what the hell that X was for. :wiggle:

Yeah, I'm assuming a "vergy good gpu" would be something like x1900xtx (1950's aren't faster are they? I heard the x1900xtx is a fkin monster though. :noes:) or probably the geforce 7950 GX2. I want it. Two of them. :eek4:

:bigthumb:

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I've overclocked X6800s up to 3.2 and 3.4 without any issues. Just make sure you have good cooling on it, and good airflow in your case. I never really tried playing with the GPU a whole lot (one of the systems had a 7900GT, the other had a 7950GX2). Doing a RAID with two Raptors is a great idea. Very fast setup.

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I currently have 1 raptor and love it but I was thinking of doing the same and doing a RAID. Think there would be that much improvment from just 1 to 2 in RAID?