is there any precedent to apple...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bobsbarricades, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

actually listening to consumers and upgrading per request? I realize they have a sort of on-line suggestion box, but after hearing job's flat out lie and say the glossy displays met with astounding sucess.... it makes me wonder the kind of 'yes' men he surrounds himself with

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

the macbook has a glossy display and that's been a hit :dunno:
    and no, i don't think Job's and co. do what consumers want, they seem to do things their own way and it seems to work pretty well...

3. ady

ady New Member

I'm a firm believer that Jobs pretty much decides what is going to be what. Of course that means that anyone able to suggest something directly to him could sway his choices, doing that however is another matter.

4. Bobsbarricades

the whole glossy thing has been a huge problem for the professional industry (of which has always been a huge part of keeping apple afloat in the past IMHO) and for Job's to say what he did was baffling.

I agree.... I need to sit down with the man - set him skrate! :)

5. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

I don't understand the hate for gloss. Sure matte is better but I wouldn't choose one laptop over the other simply due to matte display... Unless thats the only difference.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i hate glossy.

:love: matte

7. Lat

Lat New Member

8. Bobsbarricades

haha, i didn't want a glossy matte debate - it's a fact that people relying on accuracy can't use glossy screens, unless the whole industry changed to glossy (which is all likelyhood is Job's motive).

Now back on - games are the biggest reason bootcamp is so popular, as businesses are just now beginning to utilize macs, so why the heck does job's not give gamers decent hardware?

9. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

from what i've read about steve jobs he's completely wacko. doesnt give a shit about what anyone else thinks (if they dont agree with him) and a whole bunch of other shit.

10. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

steve jobs doesnt need the professionals anymore. itunes + ipod + iphone have pretty much made osx take a back seat.

11. Euclid

Euclid New Member

What, can't you upgrade the video and sound cards in a Mac Pro just as easily as you can in a desktop PC?

12. ady

ady New Member

The potential customer base, while present, is far too small of a niche for Apple to bother. Certainly the impression they give anyway.

13. Bobsbarricades

ady I disagree - why then would he bring john carmack and the ceo of EA games on stage for his keynote to adress SPECIFICALLY gamers?? where carmack unveiled the first of his new 3d engine?

And Euclid - the price of the desktop mac pro is rediculous. yes you can upgrade that, but good God after spending around 3000 dollars why would I want to? Most gamers aren't that way. most gamers (if you look at console sales) want out of the box simplicity - plug and play if you will which is why it makes PERFECT sense with bootcamp to have the iMac perform exceptionally with games

14. ady

ady New Member

Why not get him up there, it's free advertising? If Apple cared about gamers needing power the GPU options wouldn't be what they are. I'm not saying they don't care about making games available to the mac user base, it's only a very small percentage that need the latest and most powerful GPUs to run well, but that they have shown time and again they have no interest in making hardware for the more demanding gamer.