MIL is there any officer career in the military that doesnt require citizenship at start?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nietsni3, Dec 28, 2006.

1. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

i heard some of branches of the military allow permanent residents to join some programs to become officers or reserved officers that allow waiver of citizenship (but require the applicants to acquire citizenship after a certain number of years after joining the program). no?

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I dont know of any, why would the military allow non citizens to oversee military operations?

3. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Yeah, I don't know of any either. I think you definitely have to be a citizen first.

4. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

Looks like it's the French Foreign Legion for you.

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You could enlist and work on your naturalization, then you would have better chances of becoming an officer.

6. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

you have to be a full US citizen. If you have dual citizenship you cannot claim to have dual citizenship and become an officer. We have a cadet who is also a german citizen, so he can't maintain his dual citizenship and get commissioned.

7. shiba

shiba Active Member

I think its because there will be conflicts on getting you security clearance. However, I think some ROTC programs are willing to take you in before you get your citizenship but you must naturalize before you contract.

8. seatmech83

seatmech83 New Member

Your best bet would to enlist in the branch you want to become an officer in. Then get your naturalization and then submit for some kind of officer package. Already having your BA degree would help as well.