Is there any easy way to recover a lost (POP) Power On Password?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EZmfE, Dec 9, 2004.

1. EZmfE

EZmfE The knife was this big

Ok, I know a decent amount about building and working on home desktop computers... but when it comes to laptops, I just don't know a damned thing. I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FRV26 Notebook and everytime I boot it up it asks me for a password before it even begins to boot. I know that there are ways to "recover" the password via taking out the CMOS battery or other ways. The thing is; like I said, I know nothing about laptops. Therefore I can't even begin to take this thing apart! So it would be a lot of help if someone here could possibly point me in the proper direction of disassembling this laptop so I can kill this password issue as soon as possible. Thanks..

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

desktops you can remove the battery, or more-apprpriately, short the cmos-reset jumper. However, due to theft, notebook manufacturers have been urged to make resetting bios passwords on notebooks very difficult. Usually the only solution is to send the system back to the manufacturer for reset.

3. EZmfE

Yeah... I tried leaving the actual battery pack out of it overnight, but I guess the laptop companies have improved on their security since the last time I actually owned one :)
    Anyways I know how to reset the CMOS-jumper if I can actually get to that part! So if anyone knows how to disassemble one of these annoying things, help me out please!

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

as I said previously, the reset cmos jumper is usually not present in a notebook (I build them for a living, btw). Usually you must replace the BIOS chip, which can only be done by the manufacturer.

5. EZmfE

6. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

used to be that if you knew what the bios manufacturer was you could look up the manufacturer password (failsafe password).....dont know if thats still the case but was pretty reliable back in the day

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not sure specifically about sony, but new toshibas, dells, asus, etc, no longer have a "default" password. Some have a unique pw stored in their system (different per machine) that they can lookup, or they have to replace the bios chip... Either way, I'm not aware of any manufacturer that willingly sends these out (either a new chip or password)... They require you send the notebook back to them.

8. EZmfE

Yeah I dont think Im going to even waste my time trying to look up the BIOS failsafe password... lol. Doesn't sound like it's going to be a promising adventure across the internet :p

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i know on toshiba's laptops, all it takes are 2 soder points and a piece of wire to bypass their bios password protection