Is there any benefit at all to using oval speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Sep 2, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My father's Miata has 6x8 speakers, and he's been complaining that they sound kind of boomy, so I was thinking of getting him new speakers for Christmas. My size options are 5 1/4" or 5x7. Obviously the 5x7's are going to have more surface area, but I don't know if that will make up for the loss in clarity that oval speakers supposedly have.

Anyone here enough of an audiophile (and actually knows their shit) that they can say one way or another?

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

rounds are better than ovals, imo... but any coax replacement will be less boomy than a OEM speaker.

3. deusexaethera

coax? Do you mean coaxial wiring, or is that some kind of speaker I've never heard of before?

What do you suppose are the chances the boominess is being caused by the headunit itself? It has speed-sensitive volume and EQ presets and stuff like that, but knowing him he didn't choose the option with the loudest possible bass.

4. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  5. deusexaethera

Oh, what Crutchfield calls "full-range speakers". Gotcha.

I'd be putting in components if I do anything. I don't mind drilling holes in the dash to mount the tweeters, as long as he's cool with it. Besides, you can't hear treble coming from the footwells, it's much better to bounce it off the windshield instead.

I'm thrilled with the quality of my new Infinity Reference components, so I'll probably get him these:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Also, does anyone have any experience with those signal processors that claim to remove EQ effects and volume compression from the stock HU's output signal?

6. twistid

you'd be amazed on the improved sound, of an average coax sitting low in a convertable.

depending on the year, the bass roll-off from the factory deck could be the culprit... if it just happens at low to mid volume, it's probably 65% the headunit's fault.

7. deusexaethera

I'm not in the car enough to know when the effect is present, but he mostly listens to classical music in the car so it's not the recording engineers' fault for applying too much volume compression.

My theory with putting the tweeters up high is that if he gets hit in the face with the treble (and being older, treble is harder for him to hear), he might be able to change the EQ or lower the volume overall so the bass is less boomy without sacrificing midrange-to-highrange clarity. Sound reasonable?

It's a 2007 model, without the Bose premium sound system.

8. twistid

if you put the tweeters up high in a convertable, a lot of the sound will leave the car.

9. deusexaethera

Really? Even if it bounces off the windshield and shoots back?

10. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

i know some speakers used to have aim-able tweeters, which would help him if his speakers are mounted low

11. deusexaethera

Now that you point that out, I think Infinity does make two-ways with aimable tweeters.