Is there an edu for re-installing Vista?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mangina, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Mangina

Mangina New Member

I kind of want to re-install it on my year and a half old Lenovo to get rid of some of the add-on programs that came on the computer. I've never done anything like this before and was wondering if there's an edu for idiots like me, or if I should even bother trying this myself. :dunno:

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Do you have a Vista CD/DVD? Backup your data and then boot off the CD and follow the prompts.

3. Mangina

Mangina New Member

I didn't get the cd with my computer. It was all pre-loaded. :sad2:

4. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

Minus whale put W7 on there

5. Mangina

Mangina New Member

Serious? Is it free? I don't want to go to prison.

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

download vista from some torrent site and use the product key that is on the side of your computer

7. Mangina

Mangina New Member

So is it as easy as just booting from a Vista CD, or are there 45 steps missing that will make me unable to run my computer?

I just don't want to re-install it, try to start it up and find out it doesn't work, and be unable to go on the internet to troubleshoot.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

#1. look for software that was installed originally that lets you "reset" the OS back to the day you bought the laptop.

It might be called "recovery" or "factory reset" or "reload"........or it might be "tools" and then under tools you'll find one of those. But the best way to do this is to do it using the manufacturer's tool, not to download something off a torrent and try to make your product key work with it.

And btw, you're asking this in the wrong place. Go to Lenovo's site and look for the answer that's specific to your model, and maybe even specific to YOUR laptop. I just bought my wife a dell laptop and I can go on dell's site and log in and see exactly what was pre-loaded on my wife's laptop, and choose to reload it all if I want. I'd be surprised if Lenovo didn't have something similar.

9. Mangina

Mangina New Member

Well technically the stuff that I want to get rid of is the stuff that was put on the laptop before I even bought it. Or will the reset get rid of this stuff?

I'll check into it. Thanks dudes.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you are hesitant to reinstall, go to programs and features in the control panel and un-install anything you don't want. Run disk cleanup to delete any un-needed files and do a disk defrag and see where you are at.

If you don't have a CD, there is probably a restore partition on your drive that will put the machine back to factory specs, but it will still include all the stuff you don't want. You will lose your personal data.

You usually have to press an certain key on boot up. I'm sure you can find the instructions on the Lenovo site.