SRS Is there a way to test for serotonin levels?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soltaker, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Soltaker

Soltaker 03-18-2015 #NEVERFORGET

My wife has her mind made up that I have depression. She thinks that I should see a doc about getting a trial sample of some depression meds, thinking my serotonin levels are jacked up or some shit. :jerkit: Is there a way to test for serotonin in one's body to see where they are at? I really really don't want to start taking pills or some shit just to see if they happen to work. :down:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

wtf is wrong with your wife? is she a doctor? I'm guessing no, but she's still pushing you to take meds because she diagnosed you as having too much serotonin?

sounds like SHE needs to see a doc.

:edit: sorry, forgot to say yes, there's a blood test for serotonin levels.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  3. FartLighter

FartLighter Resident Fart Expert OT Supporter

If there is a test, I imagine it would be very painful. I think serotonin is contained solely in the brain.

4. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

There is a blood test you can get done... But it has to be by referral i believe.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

:ugh:

the post immediately above yours says "there's a blood test"

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Maybe this is not the most professional source, but it gets the point across:

[y]KIjOZq_AUeE[/y]

Do NOT take SSRI's unless you are seriously depressed and nothing else has worked. If you go to a psychiatrist, and you say "i think I'm depressed" he will ask you a few questions and prescribe you pills, because drug companies like it when you buy their shit. Its ridiculous to be fucking around with the chemicals in your brain when nobody actually knows the long term effects of these drugs or how they work to "fix" depression. If you or your wife thinks you are starting to get depressed, then a good excersize regiment and a better diet will do way more than drugs in many cases.

7. Soltaker

Soltaker 03-18-2015 #NEVERFORGET

Thanks for the help guys! :wavey:

I will readily admit that my mood fluctuates and I go theu spells when I am crabby. But I would attribute these swings more to what's going on around me, (finances, my daughter, some of my wife's issues), and the level in which they annoy me VS. some sort of chemical imbalance. That's just me. :dunno:

This is exactly why I would much rather see if there is really some sort of testable imbalance going on in my head instead of "Oh here, take these pills and see if it helps." Screw that. I don't see any sense in taking some sort of medication I might not need to "see if it helps" when, from the sound of it, there is a legitimate test that can be done to determine if any meds are needed or if they would do any good at all. I am not one who goes in to see the doctor for any little thing. I make it in once every year-18 months. And only then is it because I am hella sick. This notion of taking something, seeing if it helps and enevitably increasing the doseage because there hasn't been a change just sounds like a bad plan.

You guys rock :blue:

8. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Low seratonin levels in the synapse have only been linked to depression. There is no really good indication they are a cause or even a definitive symptom. The best indicator of depressoin is "do you feel like shit, most of the time for a long period of time". If you do, its time to change up your diet and start excersizing, and perhaps going to a therapist to discuss your problems. If these don't help, then you can go ask for pills.

If you feel fine, but get angry or overly sad at specific things and it affects your relationship or makes you unable to enjoy life, then maybe you could see a therapist for some cognitive behavioural therapy.

9. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

In order to find out the serotonin levels in the brain you'd have to get a spinal tap. It exists in the blood stream, but that doesn't necessarily indicate how much is contained within the cerebrospinal fluid.

I agree about the prescribed drug aversion policy. It's good for recovery from a dangerous manic period but long term use causes change you may not view as positive.

If you want to support brain function & synthesis of beneficial chemicals you can take amino formulas designed to support brain function. There are cocktail formulas or if you want to target serotonin specifically then 5-HTP would be an excellent resource. Keep in mind that consumption of certain other foods simultaneously affects metabolization & 5-HTP is a component of more than just serotonin. I forget how to influence synthesis of serotonin specifically but you may be able to find info if you care to.

You can also go a more natural route & consume more foods that contain the building blocks for serotonin. Wikipedia says turkey & cheese are good sources. Web search says bananas, tomatoes, plums, avocados, eggplant, walnuts and pineapples. If my memory serves me right some kind of sausage helps, too.

My fiance has some probs similar & has been trying to balance with better diet, more exercise & poking smot when he seems manic.

Good luck. :)

10. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Is this about medicine or is this about the way she is dressed. All of a sudden she scratches her thigh. :hsugh:

11. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Pills are really only a last resort because they are symptom supressors and not problem solvers. The best approuch therefore is a 'real life time' approuch that adresses the root cause of the problems,namely your wife, finances and your daughter. Often a woman can drive a guy up the wall and cause more insanity and anger then a raging bull, giving the poor guy a headacke with all her bitching and complaining,(although vice versa is also possible) that added with financial problems that can cause quite a moodswing.

12. arfanrauf

arfanrauf New Member

Try Prozac?

Theres a mixed reaction to whether it works or not..