Is there a way to retrieve my XP CD-key?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AstroHud, Nov 10, 2009.

1. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

I want to reformat but i dont have the disk with me. I was hoping to download a xp reformat disk and then use the key. Any ideas?

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

magic jelly bean?

3. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Yeah, that's the program. I thin kit can retrieve the Key for XP.

Not sure on your other question. If you don't have the media or a way of getting the media then I don't see how you can format. Is it a Dell machine (or gateway, HP, etc.)? If so maybe it has a restore partition. You can search online to find out how to access it.

Otherwise you'll need a copy of XP to reinstall XP.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Don't need a DVD burner, a CD burner is all you need.
    If you don't have that, catch up...this isn't the 90s any more.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Remember that XP installation discs are different per channel (corp vs oem vs retail). Meaning your key won't work with any XP install disc.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: however you should be able to find out which channel your key is for when you use the key finder app, IIRC.

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Dude, if you want your hand held through this email me at [email protected]

I have done a shit ton of xp installs over the years. I can walk you through pretty much everything.

Magic Jelly bean is a wonderful tool for getting keys.

Here are some tools to start you out:

You already have Magic Jelly bean. Yeah. Good choice. Get it, run it and keep a copy of the keys.

If you don't have a CD or DVD burner (you guys know he might be running a netbook) then you will need to do the install through a USB drive (flash drive).
    For XP you need a minnimum of a 1 gig drive, but the reality is that is too small. I strongly recomend at least a 4 gig drive. That way you can get everything on that drive you need (like programs you like to run, service packs, etc) along with the OS.

A couple of tricks:
    Download this program: http://www.nliteos.com/
    This program will walk you through setting up and customizing your install disk.
    (word to the wise: this program really shines with XP, they have a version out for Vista called Vlite, as much as I recomend nlite to everyone I have had very little luck with vlite over the years)
    Use it to cut a copy of XP to an ISO.

Oh, you need something to run the ISO.

I think alcohol has a version of 52% for free....
    Go to this page: http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/ and download Alcohol 52%. Has a 15 day trial on it. 52% only allows you to read ISO's. It will set up virtual drives and allow you to mount them. That is all you need for this procedure.

Ummm... what else.

Oh shit. The big deal. You somehow need to get XP over to the driveless machine.

2 options come to mind.

The easiest is this.
    Go to a computer with an optical drive, put in your XP disc. Copy the contents to a folder, put that folder on a USB drive and copy that folder to the machine without the CD drive.
    (you read that right, Windows OS discs rely on ONLY the key as there source of copy protection, this is true for ALL windows OS's including W7)

The more annoying is to get it from bit torrent or usenet. Good luck with that. I don't do bit torrent.

Or... you could FTP it from some nice person.

Finally about that CD key. The above person is correct, you need the correct key to match up with the correct version of XP.
    The only fool proof way of checking this before the actual install is to use a program like Microsofts Virtual PC.
    Give this page a shot: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

When you have finished making the ISO you are going to mount it, start up a session of Virtual PC and then run it within that session. If you have a problem with the key it will tell you.

-------------------------------------------

email me at [email protected] if you have any questions about doing this.

Oh I forgot. nlite- the point of it is to allow you to slipstream the latest service packs for xp.
    I think XP is up to service pack 3 now. You can download it (look for the administrator installs on the website) and use nlite to slip it to the OS.

Oh shit, I almost forgot the tool to put the image on the USB stick and make it bootable...

http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

Good luck.