is there a way to have my window's windows be part transparent"?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Oct 3, 2006.

1. so i can be online and see my whole desktop at the same time

2. __Saviour__

__Saviour__ New Member

windows itself cannot do that.
    but perhaps your videocard can do it. download and install the latest drivers and go to the videocard's option menu.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually Windows CAN do that. Unfortunately, they don't provide a convenient interface for users to make windows transparent without writing their own code that casts some nasty voodoo on the other programs on their machines.

The easy way is to buy WindowBlinds from Stardock, Inc. It's a very nice Windows XP skinning app, and a lot of skins give each window a button to make the window translucent.

That said, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll try it once and decide never to use it again. It's more or less impossible to read five webpages that are stacked on top of each other.

4. tabs ftw ??

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I've had transparent windows before in linux, and they're really kind of annoying.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Tabs FTW.

I can hold alt and use my scroll wheel to change the translucency of the active window (beryl (previously compiz) on GNU/Linux), but it is very rarely useful (sometimes it's handy for watching an IRC channel on xchat while talking to someone with GAIM, but that's about the one case I find it useful). It would be so much more useful if the text on the active window would stay 100% transparent, maybe I should look into writing a beryl plugin....

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Let's not get into another tabbed browsing argument. I don't use it, I don't like it, but that's not the point. The point is that a bunch of see-thru windows stacked on top of each other are hard to use.