Is there a way to create subfolders in Mail

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pineapple Devil, May 17, 2005.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

Say I've got an address for my comcast mail and i want to separate my mail by where it came from (ex: bank, ebay, paypal, apple). is there a way to create subfolders for that email address like you can in entourage?

2. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

If you've got two or more email accounts active within the mail application, they should show up as seperate folders to begin with. Each should, IIRC, have their own inbox, sent items, trash, as well as seperate custom folders available.

Can anyone with this kind of setup take a screenshot? :hsd:

EDIT: upon re-reading what you were asking...I kinda went overboard and off topic. :noes:

at any rate, YES, you should be able to create sub-folders within your Comcast Inbox.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I haven't upgraded to Tiger yet, but in the Mail app as of OS X 10.3.9, there is a "+" button at the bottom of the drawer that contains your account(s). Click the "+" and you can add a new mail box.

Once you set up your new mail boxes, you'll need to set up filters if you want automatic sorting to those mail boxes.

5. Spinkick

Spinkick Active Member

the sub folders are called "new mailbox" its kinda misleading and I just figured it out last night. you can create folders within folders.

With that being said however. I'm dumping all my email back into one giant inbox and am going to start using smart folders exclusively. You get the same result. I think this is what is intended with mail 2.0 and tiger. Now that the emails are all seperate text files, size shouldnt be a factor like the previous versions that used a database type storage system.

What do you guys think?

Chopping and cutting email is the new hotness. Check out gmail, same concept.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

so smart mailboxes automatically sorts mail when it comes in?

7. Spinkick

Spinkick Active Member

they do a search, they dont copy them but return the messages through spotlight inside that folder. it doesnt physically get moved there.