Is there a version of VMware that allows scheduled disk shrinks?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jan 20, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm getting sick of doing this shit manually, and I figure I can probably convince people to buy a paid version of VMware if I can show them how much time I'm wasting using the free version.

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

scheduled disk shrinks? why are you constantly shrinking disk? does it just grow the image at will?

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

4. deusexaethera

My images are divided into 2GB files that grow from 0B to 2GB as the VM uses its disk space. The purpose of shrinking is to erase "empty" space on the VM partitions and then rewrite the 2GB files to "skip" the empty space, to save disk space on the host machine. To counteract the high amount of fragmentation this obviously causes, the host machine defrags itself once a week.

To keep the VMs' disk files from growing to full size even if the used space in their partitions is a fraction of the total allocated space, I shrink them once a month. I'd like to be able to set up the host machine and/or the VMs to do it for me, so I don't have to waste a day doing it myself.

5. Gilbutt

Gilbutt Last visit: 09-22-2006

For what purpose? Don't you have centralized storage? If so, just buy more disks and expand those VMFS filesystems.

6. deusexaethera

No, the VM disks are stored on the host servers. I back them up to the file server when I do something important to them, but other than that they just chug away.

I don't want to pre-allocate all the disk space at once because that makes the VMs harder than hell to back up. I'd need several more terabytes of backup capacity on top of what the file server already uses.

7. Gilbutt

Gilbutt Last visit: 09-22-2006

Is this a test/dev environment then?

8. deusexaethera

Yes, I also take snapshots.

I'd love to get ESX Server, but my CFO won't even approve a few hundred bucks to replace our 10-year-old CRT monitors with LCDs. I could use ESXi, since it's free, but how would that improve my "backup strategy"?