Is there a definitive 'best' head unit?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Moose, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Moose

Moose New Member

Are there any headunits that everyone agrees is the best for its price range?
    :hs: i'm overwhelmed by soo many choices, $100-200 price range.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

too many people with arguements without enough technical know how to prove them.

ur only definitive answer would be to have a car set up already with good speakers etc, then just swap HUs in and out and compare results and have several experienced people listen to each demo, then list up the opinions of each person comparing the HUs to one another (anybody who says no can go fuck themsevles) if you can do the same thing urself then all the better, not many people have the chance though to sit in a car and swap HUs around for some time

everyone is going to have their preference for one HU or another but dont let their arguements sway you too much cuz theyre only one user out of thousands especially when comparing relatively equal HUs from different companys.

its pretty easy to tell between superior and lesser superior though, not too sure about 100-200 range, lots of stuff can be on clearance/on sale from more expensive ranges etc.

shop around

www.carstereo.com

www.pricegrabber.com

www.onlinecarstereo.com

www.thezeb.com

www.sounddomain.com

if u find anything post it

3. Moose

Moose New Member

that would be great if i could do that, :dunno: though. I guess i'll just have to use internet opinions and reviews.
    thanks for the links :cool:

do you have any personal experience with some good ones?

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

not really, i fell out of car audio due to a chain of events

i have experience with clarion (good HU bad display, hard to see) and pioneer (good for the money)

panasonic makes a decent HU, my brother has one

kenwood is over priced and generally shitty IMO (2 friends have had them, used them a lot)

and then of course people will always rave for Alpine, Eclipse and so on. dont have any good hands on time with that stuff so im not going to say anything.

5. Moose

Moose New Member

thanks for the info

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

"best" cannot be had for even 5x your max budget

for your budget, just grab a sony. It's not the greatest, but they work, and they last.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

McIntosh Labs MX406 :naughty: its only like a grand

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

9. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

i would never ever buy another sony headunit and i know more then a few people who feel the same way

10. johnson

johnson New Member

kenwood excelon

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've owned 3 sonys, and each of them has been better than the eclipse I've owned. :wiggle:

The sonys all played cd's reliably.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:hsugh: no comment

13. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Pioneer HU for life

14. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

There's no way any Sony deck you've owned sounded better than my Eclipse CD8053. I also will say to the thread starter I will not buy Sony again. I say this mostly for sound quality, but also the first one I got had a broken cd player. But, I don't rate head units on a reliability alone like Jollyogre (who is biased against Eclipse because one of his Eclipse's cd mechanism broke after a while, he now says Eclipse sucks as a result).

Alpine and Pioneer should fit into your price range and sound good.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

What is the point of a head unit with good SQ if you can't play a cd? I mean, who is gonna say, hey, I can't play cd's, but FM sounds okay??? No one.

I went through TWO eclipse units. And the CD mech didn't go bad "after a while", they were finicky right from the start. Fuck eclipse. Alpine at least puts out a product that sounds good AND works.

So if you *don't* factor reliability into your rating, then you're just a fool. Reliability is a HUGE category for rating a unit.

16. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Eclipse HUs have been completely reliable for quite a while now. Yea a few years back they had some problems, but I havent heard a single complaint about them in the recent past.

17. veonake

Dude, I never said reliability doesn't factor in. It's just the fact that you are overtly biased it's getting a little ridiculous now. "Fuck eclipse"? That's not exactly a statement that is said unless there is emotion involved. The problem is that the majority of the car audio scene disagrees with you heavily. Go on most forums, and the guys that seem to know their stuff the most, and win competitions, will often have Eclipse CD8xxx in their sigs as the deck they use. Do you think they are ALL Eclipse sackriders or something? How many times will we have this argument?

Reliability is a factor, but not necessarily a "HUGE" factor. What you factor into a purchasing decision is an individual choice first of all. Second, unless a unit is failing all the time, you don't need to just immediately discount it like you do with Eclipse. It's possible that it was partially your fault it broke too, none of us know whether or not it was a flaw in the design or manufacturing or user.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If it was my fault it broke, due to something I was doing, then I find it odd that every other manufacturer that I've tried (apline, panasonic, pioneer, sony) has not had this problem. As I have said in the past, next time I need that level of SQ, I'll just go with the Alpine -- a unit that I know works all around, every time.

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Here's a HU related question ill ask in here cuz i think if i made a thread about it i wouldnt get very much feedback:

what would you consider to be top tier head units, are there companys that arent particularly mainstream that make some super high quality stuff?

20. DaddyThirdLeg

Denon, McIntosh and Nakamichi come to mind, i'm sure there are more

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hm denon makes car audio? coudlnt find denon car audio on the usa, uk, canadian or german home sites, did some googling, all i found was a mention of a DCT-1000R :dunno:

i knew mcintosh and nakamichi did

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2005
  22. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

are nak's car head no longer made by sony???

23. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

one brand, and one model number comes to mind... though some of you are too young to remember, the /////ALPINE 7909.

24. veonake

I think it's made by Rockford, some people call it a Denford unit. I used to know the model number, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. Alpine F1 is also said to be up there with Denon, Mc, and Nak.

25. DaddyThirdLeg

It was made by Denon, and sold by Rockford, supposed to be a good unit, but I don't think they make them anymore. You see a few for sale on the different forums because Sounddomain cleared them out for $400 or $500, they retailed for close to a grand. I've seen a few Denon units before under the Denon name, I guess they stopped making them too.

And I don't think Sony and Nakimichi should be mentioned in the same sentence.

Edit: Did a little research the Rockford is based on the Denon R1 which retailed for $900.

Denon's premeir unit the Z1 retailed for $2500 :eek3:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005