Is there a chemical that will remove streaks without harming plastic?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by vr6t, Dec 11, 2003.

1. vr6t

vr6t Guest

I installed new headlights on my '03 GTI and when I put the bulbs inside the light holder, little plastic particles got inside the on the shinny mirror part where the light reflects off of. As you can imagine, EVERY particle stands out like black stars in a white sky.

I tried taping two q-tips together and wiping them out (yes, stupid idea) and got a streaky mess of a finish at the end with a bunch of new 'cotton stars'. I'm frustrated because it's really hard to take the headlights out of these cars and I don't think they come apart so they can be cleaned.

Like the title says, I think I need to find a chemical that remove all the streaks. The hardest is that the shiny surface actually plastic that's painted with chrome paint. I definitely don't want to mess that up.

Any ideas?
  2. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    I had this problem with mine...

First off, your headlights do come apart. You have to bake them in the oven...I know your laughing right now, but this heats up the glue that holds them together, then they come apart. Anyways, become a member of '' and search 'joey mod'. You will find a ton of info on taking them apart.

Second, what I did was used a commercial glass cleaner. The brand I used was Gliptone, but I'm sure Stoner's Invisible Glass will work just fine. When the headlight was apart and bulbs were out. I sprayed it on generously and let it sit for about a minute. I then wiped the excess away with a microfiber towel. If this does not work completely, try a little bit of plastic polish on a cloth applicator and then wipe away with an MF towel.

Good Luck!
  3. vr6t

vr6t Guest

Thanks A LOT, bro. That was more help than you'll know!