is there a big market for solaris administrators right now?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Aug 9, 2003.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

a lot of jobs out there for them?

2. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Uhmm no...

Well really depends on your area, there's some contract spots up here but nothing much else.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Not in my area.

4. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i heard they get paid a lot

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

All depends on your experience, if you have any of their certs, and who you work for.

6. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i talked to one solaris administrator, he told me to get 2 solaris boxes, (used ones are around 500 each) and he'll tell me what to learn and guide me through or whatever and promised that i will get a job cause there are not that many solaris administrators out there. This man has been in the IT industry for around 20-30 years, still working......

should i listen to him or not? :eek3:

7. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

If you enjoy doing system administration and weekly 1-5am maint windows, sure.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I wouldn't listen to him, that's just my opinion. I don't think buying two Ultra 30 Sun workstations is going to do a whole lot for you. I'm sure he can tell you what to learn but that's just going to teach you how to mess around with basically CAD workstations. Once you start getting into the larger server environments some more experience is required. Like I said before, I’m not sure about your area but around here if you walked in saying you had some experience with suns like he's describing you wouldn't get a call back. Now if he can hook you up cool, I’m sure you'll pick a lot more up on the job.

Like compiledmonkey said though, in the larger server environments get used to 1a-5a maintenance windows and being paged a lot. I work for EDS as a Unix Admin and let me tell you dude I get paged at least twice a week, which is a good week. Any kind of changes I want to do on systems is either after hours between 6p-6a if it's customer approved or on the weekend.

If you like odd hours go for it, if you can handle high pressure situations then peruse a career in it. If you just going to be supporting small workstations though a lot of this won't happen to you so keep that in mind.