Is the UDM worth it?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Labster, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Just curious what everyone's feelings on the UDM were. I love using my PC and I can do pretty stellar work with my rotary but I'm just curious as to if a UDM is a good tool to add to my arsenal. I have the money for one but I'm just curious as to if it's worth it or if I should just invest in some new pads and product rather than a new machine.

2. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Me personally..........
    I would sell my PC and pads and get a Cyclo and a Edge2K kit.
    You pads will last longer.......You will cover more area.......and your arms and hands won't feel like you just weed-eated an entire pasture!!!

I fired my UDM up yesterday and almost threw it away.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Specifically, why? I find it corrects almost as fast as the Cyclo and gets into tighter spaces. Really nice machine to have if you work on cars with odd contours. Yeah, the Cyclo is smoother and corrects a bit faster, but I think both tools have their place. My PC is now my official carpet scrubber. :)

4. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

And that's why we have forums.......to express opinions and let the masses decide!

I like the UDM's power but I'd rather master the rotary than have my arms numbed by the harsh vibrating. Once I've qualified my customer's needs and wants, the Cyclo can handle what they really want. I'd rather do 3-4 100.00 wash and waxed than one full correction for 200.00.

5. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

My co-worker/partner has one, or had one. It actually broked on him today and he only had it for a a little over a week. It still turns on but its stuck on speed 1. Im sure its because it just came out and still have some bugs that needs to be fixed.

Besides that, he loves it! Although he never owned a proter cable, so he couldnt compare. I tried it a few times and it was cool. Speed 6 feels smooth unlike the porter cable. Not sure about more correction tho because im cant really tell.. dont use my pc all that much either.

6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

No its not worth it. If you are serious about paint correction get a rotary.

7. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Yea.. i dont think it'll be worth it for you, seeing you already a PC and a rotary. Although if my PC ever goes out, i would consider the UDM. although i would wait a while to see how durable it is or if theres any bugs that needs to be fixed.

8. Paulie Walnuts

Its a good replacement for the PC no doubt but I dont have the patience to sit and fuck around with it when detailing for pay. Just takes too long.

9. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

This is why I'm using the rotary every other day now. Man the speed of correction and the finished product is nicer than the Cyclo or PC ever thought of being.

10. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I ended up just purchasing some new pads for my Rotary and PC and some new product to test out.

11. Paulie Walnuts

Which Rotary do you have? I have the Porter Cable version, I will be selling it next Spring and getting either the Makita or the Hitachi. The PC 7428 is a good machine but its almost 9 pounds and is a bitch on vertical panels.

12. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I have the Dewalt 947 I do believe. it's a beast!

13. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I have the Harbor Freight model that I'm learning with. I will be getting a Metabo in the spring aka tax refund season!