Is the Sony CDX-F7700 a good deck?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Just curious, any good reviews out there on this? How is Sony in general for car decks?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

No, don't buy a Sony for car audio, any Xplod or modern unit anyways. Give us a price range and we can recommend something better.

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I love the bandwagon sony sucks threads. Usually replies from people that have never owned a sony product.

I've had a Sony CDX-C780 since 97 or 98, and never ONCE has it given me any problems. It's only been cleaned one time (with one of the CD brush cleaners, not professionally) and it still plays any disc I throw at it.

As for the deck the OP was asking about, I have no knowledge of the specific model, but as above, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sony. As a matter of fact, I have 2 Sony Xplod amps sitting beside me going into my new ride in the next couple of weeks.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Sony, on average, is not very well-regarded, but I purchased an FX7715 (purely on price, features, and looks) and I am very pleased with it.

Is there better? Yes. But it has its place.

5. veonake

I owned the Sony MP70. :hsugh:

If your head unit can't play any disc that is in any reasonable condition then the head unit is terrible. I don't even factor that in to my opinion, as reading a cd consistently is a capability every head unit should have by default, and I take care of my CD's.

The problem is, the sound quality out of Xplod equipment is fair and is a disappointment. Their old products were better, hopefully they can improve and better their new car audio name. They might need to change it again to remove the stigma. Xplod isn't known among those in the car audio scene as something to stay away from for no reason.

Note that I am not saying Sony in general is not a good product, just their Xplod line of car audio.

6. DaIceMan

I'm mean to say "any disc" in the form on CD-Rs and such, regardless of condidtion. I tend to take less better care of CD-Rs because that's the reason I use them, as throw away discs that protect the originals.

7. veonake

I know what you mean, but any cd player should be able to read a slightly scratched disc. Sure, it might be impressive if it can read a scratched to hell disc, but that has nothing to do with the sound quality it is going to output. If it is a cd-r, just re-burn the thing. When I rate a head unit I think about sound quality first, then useful features, reliability, etc. The ability to read a disc that has been run over by the neighbor's skateboard is low on the list.

8. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I actually made this post because i already have the F7700, ive had it in my car for about 3 months, and its the biggest peice of shit i have ever wasted my money on. If the CD has 1 scratch, it will skip over and over, on some CD's it wont even play them if they have a couple scratches. When i go over railroad tracks or anything with a slight bump, the thing skips like crazy. Also when i play burned CD's, it will skip like hell through the first couple songs, even though the CD is mint with not 1 finger print on it, just because its a CD-r.

9. DaIceMan

yes... but I have a buddy with an Alpine head unit, 3 years old, that won't play a CD-R 75% of the time. If it isn't capable of playing CD-Rs, then the deck is completely off my list.

10. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ya, before purchasing it i read all the reviews and they didnt say anything about its shitty CD-R playback, when i got it and it was skipping through the first couple songs on a perfectly good CD, i was pissed, i have been dealing with it for months now. I burn my CD's in MP3 format just to avoid the shitty playback

11. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i've installed a lot at work and they're held up so far. for many people's needs it will work fine... like someone said up above, it has its place and is a solid deck.