Is the I-Phone 3g worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Labster, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I have my own small business and currently have a LG Voyager. As or right now I need to get a pda style phone to store contact info in and check email from time to time. My question is, would purchasing the new I-Phone be worth it or should I just stick with BlackBerry or something similar?

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i cant imagine using any other phone

3. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

If you use a Mac it's 100% worth it. Being able to sync my Entourage and iCal calendars, Things to-do's, podcasts, email, and everything else in one place is awesome.

4. Ant

Ant Serious Business.

I can't really define worth it for you, but it's a nice phone, and you will be able to get your email whenever you want. (if that's your only qualification)

5. Repost

Repost PENCIL DICK

I'm in america so might pick one up now it support exchange.

a few of the mac based clients have them, i am impressed with the touch screen keypad.

6. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I love my iPhone. I couldn't imagine being with out it any more. But I've got Verizon as well. If there was no iPhone, I'd be all over the BlackBerry Storm.

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

fucking dot.

8. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Any idea how much a data plan with a simple calling plan added on would cost? My mom is on my verizon account right now so I need something I can get her phone added to as well.

9. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I heard the new Storm was gonna be around $600.

10. hurleyint1386

:rofl: at first when I read that, I thought you said "fucking idiot"

11. hurleyint1386

12. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

no wai mang

13. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

So now I'm torn...new Storm does look sweet.

14. hurleyint1386

The Storm will be for Verizon only. So I guess a deciding factor would be which carrier you want to go with

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

unless you are in a rush, wait to try out the Storm and get some hands on time with an iPhone. the iPhone is a great phone, but it has shortcomings. my blackberry is still better at some things than my iPhone.

- can actually have background processes running. this means you can click a web link, switch out of the web browser to check your email and then go back after the page loads. even more important is that you can properly use tools like instant messaging clients because they can run in the background and keep a live conversation going without having to stay in the app all of the time.
    - email is so much better because it shows up as email arrives. on the iPhone, you have to load up the mail program and wait for it to check and download your current headers and then for it to download each individual message as you open them. again, this is probably due to the lack of background processing.
    - the blackberry web browser sucks, but Opera is just as good as Safari, if not better in many cases. i'm not sure if it is Verizon's internet vs AT&T, but Opera on my 8703e is faster than Safari on my iPhone. though, the version i have on my blackberry doesn't have cut and paste either.

on the other hand, the app support on the iPhone is amazing. i have 64 apps on my iPhone (including the ones that came installed) and i've only paid for a handful of them. the app support is actually the best part of the phone in my opinion.

the interface is great. and i think this is the one thing that may hamper the Storm if blackberry doesn't pull it off. the iPhone is very comfortable to use and their touch interface is very intuitive.

Safari is a pretty good browser, but it is still flaky. Engadget.com (not the mobile version) will usually cause the browser to crash.

i have the blackberry 8703e (older one with scroll dial) and the iPhone 3g. as much as i like the Opera browser, i only use my iPhone on the bus. the various apps and music are much better at passing time. and the screen is much better than my blackberry. but, they're testing iPhone support at work with Exchange and i would never want to deal with the volume of email i do with an iPhone vs the blackberry... no competition in that arena.

16. Nezart

Nezart OT Supporter

iPhone ftw

17. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

You're doing it wrong.