LGBT Is the "Gay Lisp" Real?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Aug 30, 2004.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Or is it a way of telling the world you're gay without explicitly saying it? Why do some men have it and others don't? If all men had the gay lisp, it would lead one to believe that an excess of estrogen or lack of testosterone in gays was somehow assoiated with their sexual preference, but that's not the case cause not all gays have the lisp.

Maybe there are two categories of gays: "genetic gays" who are predisposed biologically, and have the lisp; and "preferential gays" who aren't biologically predetermined to be gay, but for whatever reason, choose it. And then to complicate matters, there are those who have the lisp, but cover it up, and there are those who don't have the lisp, but fake it.

:dunno:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  2. coma

coma New Member

Overall a erudite post, except why would anybody fake a lisp? Maybe as a gay signal to another gay person (LOL)?

3. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

For the same reason some black people purposely speak with a heavy "ebonix accent."

4. coma

coma New Member

Yeah but a black person doesn't have to "tell the world" that he's black. :squint:

5. PHLguy

PHLguy Guest

I know a few gay people, They don't talk with lisps.

6. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

so heres my thinking...

sometimes, when gay people come out, they feel this just total sense of weight and burden taken off their shoulders. In turn, they get perhaps more optimistic knowing that they can live their lives true to themselves. In turn they sorta get this euphoric state that can possibly make them end up being a bit flamey and perhaps obtain a lisp.

I think this might be possible only because i notice i get a bit flamey and lispy here and there when i'm having a good time and am around my friends and in a jolly mood. I have noticed the same thing with other friends of mine as well.

That's what i have seen but it might be dif't for others out there.

7. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

I meant having pride in being black by talking ebonixy as opposed to trying to "sound white." Maybe he'll go a little overboard with the ebonix just as a "fuck you" to all the people who criticize him for sounding too black.

8. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Okay, so you're saying that in your case, to a certain extent, you do control how "gay" sound, and increase/decrease your lisp according to your mood and situation. But what about the base line, so to speak? Do you always sound more feminine than the average male? If so, have you always sounded that way? Or is the "sounding gay" thing completely manufactured, and aside from any self-manipulation, you'd sound like a construction worker?

I'm curious to discover if those with a gay lisp always sounded feminine as compared with their peers, even before they realized they were gay. That would suggest some physiological difference between them and their peers.

9. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

I"ve never heard the gay lisp...am I missing something

10. coma

coma New Member

:rofl:

11. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Yes, you are...:ugh:

12. midden

midden New Member

i didnt know that black was a sound.:slap:

13. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

yeah, i think it can be strengthened or weakened depending on the mood of the individual. But i totally understand the notion of a baseline and i'd just have to give up and conclude that it varies from person to person. I myself get the "you totally come off as straight until you're around your gay friends" bit.

On the other hand, maybe there is no such thing as a gay lisp, but rather a masculine grunt ;)

Would be an interesting research topic and there might be some academic publications associated with this topic but i'm afraid that soemthing like that could come to be a little too subjective and opinionated.

14. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

"Big Gay Al" or "Mr. Slave" from South Park
    Christopher Lowell has a slight lisp... but I think with him, he wouldn't need the lisp for you to know he was gay.

Other than that, it's just a gay stereotype

15. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

16. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

i must not have watched south park for a LOOOONG time... Who is mr. slave :confused:

17. QUEEN BLUE

QUEEN BLUE Guest

Out of my gay friends, my one cousin and one other friend have the lisp.

18. BlondieAMC

BlondieAMC New Member

I think it's more of a sterotype thing actually...yes i know gay men that talk with it and some that don't. but i also thinks it comes down to preference of the person and what he likes and doesn't like. but with or without a lisp, gay men in general are my all time favorite!!!...hehe

19. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I think it's a stereotype. I knew a guy, VERY hetero, who had a slightly annoying lisp. One hellova race car driver, though, so I often sat through his advice. I've known two gay guys, neither of which had a lisp. One of them was so girly in his actions and mannerisms, I wanted to bitch-slap him, but I don't think that counts.

I've also known a few lesbians, none of which spoke with a speech impediment of any kind.

20. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Yes, it is a sound, it's called Ebonix, it's recognized by some linguists, and it was almost taught in California schools. :slap:

21. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

It may be a stereotype, but that doesn't negate the gay lisp's existance as a phenomenon among gay men. Observation clearly shows that the gay lisp is more prominent in the gay male population vs. the general population. The question is whether that's because gay's accentuate it, straits hide it or both.

I wonder if the gay lisp is international...Do Russian and Italian gays speak with a gay lisp at the % of their gay population as American gays do among the American gay population?

This would be interesting to find out.

22. GeekDrew

GeekDrew aka DataDrew

I sincerely doubt that it is anything besides something that some gays have just decided to do for whatever reason. I know that I (as well as quite a few of the gay friends I have) do not naturally speak with a lisp. A couple of them, however, speak with a lisp all of the time when they are in a known 'gay friendly' environment. I think it's just their own way of relaxing or something. I know that they don't naturally speak that way, nor do they probably consciously speak with a lisp when they are relaxed; it's just a habit that they've picked up.

23. [Bartleby]

[Bartleby] New Member

WHose observation would that be? The guys behind the tv cameras? Or the producers and writiers of movies and tv shows?

Lets take the evening news (local) going off my 'observations' I'd say every person they interview is a moron.

24. philrey

philrey Guest

I am predisposed biologically gay and do not have a lisp. What would you say to that?

25. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Asssssssssssssssss a matter of fact, yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss it is real ssssssssssssssissssssssssssssssssssta.

:mamoru: :mamoru: :mamoru:

Sorry, you had to have known this was eventually coming. :rofl: