is the ESRB stealing childhood from children?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Fareo, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

[​IMG]

http://theretailgamer.blogspot.com/2010/02/sigh-yeeeaah-but-whats-it-rated.html

I just wrote this, what do you guys think? :dunno:

2. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

back when i was growing up (late 80s, early 90s -- im almost 25) i dont think it was such a big deal. my mom really bought me any game i asked for..

im not a serial killer (anymore).

nowadays parents are so worried about what their kids are seeing/doing in video games, they forget all about the kids watching tv, listening to music, what they see/hear in school, hanging out with their friends, etc...

if you take just about any rap song, you will hear more profanity and "slappin' bitches" or about drugs, then you would in most games today. obviously there are exceptions, grand theft auto for example. this is the only game i honestly see that could be a problem for parents...

and really, i dont think any DS games are even violent (im not positive), but on a handheld console made by nintendo, made pretty much directly for kids, the LEGO series is the games that i would want my kids (no kids yet) to play..

its quite sad really.

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

No, the ESRB is necessary now moreso than it was back in the day. Games can be extremely detailed in their presentation these days... heads exploding with blood and guts flying all over the place. Young kids (and I mean young, like 8 - 10) shouldn't be exposed to shit like that. I mean, I don't think they will turn into violent people because of it but it can't be good to be exposed to that stuff at an important period of mental development in a kid's life.

Even though Street Fighter is pretty innocent... I'm talking about the more graphic games, mostly FPS/3rdPS games. If I had young kids I don't think I would mind them playing some fighting games. I don't remember that many violent/adulty games fot the NES/SNES/Genesis/N64, and the ones that were were more comical than offensive. Just my 0.02, I have no kids BTW and hopefully won't for a good few years :coold:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. BobBarkersSoup

BobBarkersSoup New Member

I just think it's funny how some violence in a game will lead to it getting like a Teen rating or whatever, but minor sexual content will lead to an Adults only rating, as if violence is more acceptable than sex.

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:mamoru: Yep it's pretty ridiculous. Same thing with TV shows... you can show fucked up gruesome bodies and people getting murdered all the time on CSI but you barely see any sexual content on a pre-watershed show.

6. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

oh man I remember my dad yelling at me when he looked at the esrb rating and all that it entitled on postal 2, good times.

7. Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon HURF DURF OT Supporter

:rofl:

8. Chaotix

Chaotix New Member

Reminds me of the time I worked at gamestop and parents buying their 10 yr old kids GTA games. As long as the parents is ok with it, then its fine to sell the game. Most of these parents barely spoke English though.

One time a kid cried because he didnt get GTA 4 after i explained to his parents that their would be violence/drug use.

9. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

:werd:

Shooting people in Elevator Action or Bionic Commando is a whole lot different than shooting people in MW2.

With that said, I think parents have to pay attention to what their kids are playing and also how they play it. The latter is the part that gets neglected a lot.

10. Clancer

Clancer New Member

I really dont think most parents even look at ratings, and when they do the only time they care is if its rated M or not. Many I would think just watch their kids playing the game to see if its ok or not.

But personally the only time my parents said they didnt want me to play a game was when they watched me beat up the female enemies/whip them around by the hair in Battletoads+Double Dragon :mamoru:

11. poin

poin OT Supporter

selfless promotion of own site? cool

12. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

If parents actually parented it wouldn't be needed.

13. Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon HURF DURF OT Supporter

I remember when I had to REALLY talk my parents into letting me buy Halo :ugh::rofl:

14. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

I was devastated when my parents refused to get me Duke3d for my bday. i was in grade 2.

15. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

my mom wouldn't buy me Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage because it had the word carnage in the title. . .man I still wonder if that game was any good.

16. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

it's tough... i only beat it recently on ROMs.. had to use save state :o

17. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

i still consider it the BEST spiderman game ever made.

I would love to see that game remade, possibly a cell shaded graphic scheme, complete with the comic book cutscenes :bowdown:

and mulitplayer.

18. Koltas

Koltas OT Supporter

Looking back on it, I'd have hated to not play games like Mega Man, Metroid, or Double Dragon. But like someone already said, the violence and graphics in those games weren't as horrific as some of the ones released later.

When you 'killed' a guy in Double Dragon, he fell on the floor and blinked. When you 'killed' a guy in Mortal Kombat, you ripped off his head with his spine hanging off. Big difference. Any parent with half a brain should be able to figure that out and handle it accordingly, though.

19. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

game was awesome

20. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

:werd: x 11ty

21. Fareo

Fareo New Member

thats kinda the point, thats why i drew to a different conclusion. your never going to get parents to parent thier children and you not gonna get the ESRB to change so the answer is us.

i appreciate you guys commenting in my thread but the conclusion some of you are drawing makes it sound like you didnt read the whole article. i recommend reading :o

oh and the topic title is just bait, i dont mean it literally :o

22. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

my dad had me playing doom when i was 5 and i turned out alright

23. a-money

a-money OT Supporter

my parents didnt care about ratings, i sure as hell dont. as someone who enjoys video games i wouldnt want to rob my kids of not playing the cool shit

24. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

a lot of parents I've interacted with have used the ESRB ratings to make their decisions but seem like they are using them correctly. They don't just look at T or M and say no they use the reasonings why it is rated that way to make their decisions. Like if it says Nudity, Sexual reference or whatever they don't let them get it. Were if it says blood, drug reference or something they might let them get it.

25. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

back when I had one of those Original Gameboys and Zelda, Links Awakaning came out I had to have it, I paid for it with my own allowance money and loved every second of it.

My mother found my instruction guide and saw the part where is said take the toadstool to the forest witch to get the special dust that burned things.

She took the game from me and sold it all because it had a witch in it... She didnt care what the witch did, it was just the fact that it was labeled a witch...

That's when i learned to throw the books and cases away so she didn't see them. I kinda wish I didn't though back then... But ohh well...

Little did she know I bought the game again from a local game store.