GUN Is the CMMG .22lr conversion any good?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Dec 26, 2008.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Looks an awful lot like the Ceiner kit; though I'm guessing that doesn't help you much.

2. I was all ready to buy one, then I talked to my dad about them. He has used them (not the CMMG ones, but ones that are similar) and he pointed out that the .22 makes a huge mess inside the rifle, and it puts a ton of shit into the gas system.

I guess I'll stick to my 10/22 for shooting .22

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I got one. I've put maybe1000 rounds through it so far. No problems and it's really not that dirty. Sure it's dirtier than .223 but that's the price you pay for getting to shoot your AR so cheaply. I've been using federal bulk, the copper plated stuff, and I haven't noticed much, if any, in my gas tube. I usually shoot a mag or two of .223 after I shoot .22 so perhaps that clears it out.

CMMG also has great CS. I got one of the first ones and there was a problem with the chamber adapter, they replaced it in under a week, this was right after the election and I know they were busy because it took me about an hour of calling finally get something other than the busy signal.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

phrozenlikwid, it's exactly like the Ceiner kit. I refuse to give him my money so I held out for one of these.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Like keesh I have no problems with my .22 conversion kit and dirt. Go for it, it is a lot of fun.

6. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

i just got the spikes tactical 22 conversion kit for christmas. used it today and it worked perfectly. i shot about 200 rounds of different kinds of cci and remington ammo. i haven't cleaned it yet though so i'll have to let you know how that goes later.

edit: i ordered it last week and it came tuesday. they were out of the black magazines though so if you want it now you might have to go with the smoke color magazine.

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Anyone have any problems with getting there gas tube fouled up?

8. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

what would i see if that were a problem? the bolt would not be cycling reliably?

9. I don't think you'd see a problem with the .22s, it would likely be a problem that after extensive .22 shooting there would be a lot of shit just hanging out in the gas system, and then when you shoot a .223 through the rifle, it would expel all of that shit into the bolt carrier. That's the major problem as I'd imagine it.

10. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

so then you just have some more cleaning to do next time?

11. Again, everything I said was speculation. I know how dirty .22lr is, and I'd just be interested in the mess it makes when it blows all that stuff into your receiver when you switch to .223

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I usually just start my cleaning by giving a squirt of brake parts cleaner in the upper, stuffing a blue shop paper towel and wiping it out. I feel like that gets the bulk of the crap out either way with very little hassle. People that have a more precise and slow cleaning regimine may have different results. :big grin:

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if you put 5-10 rounds of .223/5.56 downrange (or 30 like keesh :mamoru: ) after using the conversion kit, there wont be any issues with gas tube fouling.

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

thats what a dude told me to do at teh gun show.

he said 3 or 4 rounds of .223 should blow most that shit outta there :dunno:

15. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

I want one of these now! Looks like it would bring my fun to a whole new level!!

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

a mag wouldnt hurt, but yeah, hes right.