A&P is the canon 50mm f/1.8 good?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EE CUMMINGS, Dec 18, 2004.

1. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

I really don't have the $$ to shellout for a high end lens, but i've read some good reviews about this cheap lens. does anyone have any personal experience with it?

2. TheCowGod

TheCowGod ushi no kami

I think you'd be sorry you didn't go for the f/1.4. The f/1.4 is pretty much regarded as Canon's sharpest lens. As you can see (Canon 24-70 f/2.8L review), the 50mm f/1.4 is used as a benchmark which the L zooms strive (but fail ever so slightly) to match. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. It's like L-quality for 1/4 the price (but you don't get the cool red ring). I've got one and I love it. Sample shots:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/10578563/
    http://www.deviantart.com/view/10551174/
    http://binrock.net/photos/index.php?pid=7657
    (I'm not the best photographer though so don't assume that is the best the lens is capable of or anything :) )

In comparison, I've heard the f/1.8 is good for the price, but overall pretty cheaply built. It will get pictures into your camera, but I bet you'll wish you'd gotten the 1.4 down the road. It's really not that much more expensive. Take all this with a grain of salt though, as I don't have any experience with the f/1.8 myself.

3. McTool

McTool Room 3 :bowdown:

if you can find a 50mm 1.8 MK1 get that....the MK2 has the cheap plastic housing around it.

4. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Ummm..no

No comparison on zooms vs primes.

5. elbirth

elbirth Guest

Rather than bringing up other lenses that don't answer your question, I'll say YES, the 50mm f/1.8 is a VERY nice lens. Some people don't like the plastic mount on the MkII, but I don't see anything wrong with it... it still performs extremely well. The mkI isn't plastic, but also is more expensive, and you say you don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'd say go with the 50mm, it's a nice focal length and works great

6. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Yep, and the price is nice. It's on my 300D 90% of the time. Only nitpick I have is how easily dust got inside the lens body, not that it affects the image. :hsd:

7. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

Umm, no.

I have the 50mm f/1.4, its a good lens, but in no way does it compare to a L prime.

I have a few primes that are sharper than it and have better overal image quality.

85mm f/1.2L
    100mm f/2.8 Macro
    500mm f/4.0L IS

All of those are sharper than the 50mm.

8. TheCowGod

TheCowGod ushi no kami

I don't think anybody would claim that an L prime is sharper than the 50mm prime, but I also don't think an L prime is even close to an option for him. I was merely pointing out that there are lenses costing $1400 (like the 24-70 f/2.8L, which I also have and love) that are not as sharp as that $300 lens. If someone is in the market for a 50mm lens, it's worth considering spending a little extra to get results comparable to L glass.

9. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

It isnt as sharp as the 100mm macro though, and that isnt a L.

10. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

hmm,,,,,yes thanks for the replies guys.

all the local camera stores here have them on backordered. i guess i have to order it online

11. sony

sony Active Member

A lot of people say the 50mm f/1.8 is sharper than the 50mm f/1.4. I kind of agree. Theres more glass to move, so focusing isn't even faster with the USM. The only reason I love my 50 1.4 is because the bokeh is beautiful. :o

12. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

well im going to pick oneup tomorrow. the local shop has them instock now! 84.99 though....i can get it from dell for 67 but i dont want to wait ...

13. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth. :o

For the price/quality in return, on the 50mm f/1.8, it can't be beat.

14. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

On a consumer-oriented DSLR like the Digital Rebel with a 1.6x crop, the 50mm gives something similar to an 80mm lens on a regular 35mm film body. For a lot of people, this will be too tight, or too close...

Figure out if the 50mm focal length is right for you first, and then decide between the two models. Don't just buy a lens because it's cheap. Buy it because you need it and because you will use it. If you intend to shoot with large apertures, say f/1.4, f.1.8-f4, the 50mm f/1.4 has the potential to deliver better pictures. With smaller apertures, the 50mm f/1.8 is going to be the better pick. (Remember, the smaller the aperture number, ie: f/1.8, the larger the aperture opening) Personally, I feel some photographers shoot with large apertures too often, and the picture would benefit from slightly less fuzzy out-of-focus areas, but this is a matter of personal taste and depends on how a lens renders those out-of-focus areas -- some people call this "Bokeh".

For indoor stuff, a 35mm f/2.0 might be more useful than the 50mm f/1.8. There's not a huge difference in light gathering abilities between the two, and you can probably prolong your shutter speed by one stop if using the 35mm.

If you have a zoom lens with some of these focal lengths, set your lens at each of these focal lengths and use it fixed at that focal length. Don't change the focal length on the lens if you need to change the picture -- Use your feet and see how it is. You might find that the 50mm is too tight, ie: not wide enough, or not tight enough.

There are plenty of affordable fixed focal length lenses in this price range, but none as cheap as 50mm f/1.8. There's the 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8. Don't buy it just because it's cheap -- If you don't use it, you didn't get yourself a bargain.

15. For the price it's a great lil lense. I got one for an early x-mas gift

16. Zulu

Zulu New Member

I have one and I like it. I'm sure the 1.4 is considerably better, especially quality wise, and feel (focus ring, etc). But for the money the 1.8 is a great value.

17. McTool

McTool Room 3 :bowdown:

just got an MK1 (metal ring) 50mm 1.8 off of Ebay....been trying forever to win the damn auctions only to get beat out at the last minute

18. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Just out of curiosity, (sorry for jumping in the thread, but it serves a similar purpose) if I was to buy a Digital Rebel with a kit lens (not the best from what I've seen people say, but for me it's fine) what other lens would you suggest getting? What items would you suggest for accessories too?

Feel free to tell me to FO to google, but I thought I'd ask as it's a similar thread :big grin:

19. Sulaco

Sulaco prying open my 3rd eye

FO to google.

j/k

I just picked up a drebel kit and I actually really like the kit lens. It is easily as sharp as most non L Canon zooms (mostly at f8 of course) and much better than most cheaper Sigmas I have seen. I am ordering the EF 55-200 to go with it this week. These two lens' together make wealthy photgraphers crazy, but I am not wealthy. Do some research on the web about the kit lens and checkout the new review on dpreview on the EF 55-200 and you may be surprised.

I plan to eventually pickup a prime for portraits and a macro for, well, macros, but not anytime soon. I am going to try and stick with Canon for my lens' and would love to eventually work my way up to the 28-135 IS and even into the L glass one day (a loooooooong time from now).

I use a UV filter on my lens just so I don't booger it up, but purist snobs say this is bad for image quality. :dunno:

I love the drebel by the way. The first time you shoot someone zoomed and see that sweet bokeh, you will just about cream your shorts! It's a big step up from a p&s for a stupid redneck like me. :hyper:

20. CRC

CRC New Member

I did a few portraits like that and I was so happy with how they turned out. Finally I can take the pics I've always wanted to

21. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Glad this thread got bumped, I couldn't find it to save my life :big grin:

I'm not really certain what I'll do but I was thinking along the line of buildings or maybe landscapes. The kit lens would probably do for the bulk of things, and I've got my P+S Casio P-600 for indoor stuff and general walking around shots.

22. raptor_talon

raptor_talon Who is the master? Sho'nuff!

I have the plastic fantastic: EF 50mm f1.8 mk II. I love the sharpness and the blur of OOF areas.

here's a sample. the inset is 100% crop of the original. Bear in mind this has been compressed for web.
    [​IMG]

23. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

The 50 1.8 is possibly Canon's best bang for the buck lens in the entire EF lens lineup.

It's sharp and light.

It doesn't focus anywhere near as fast, or as quietly as the 50 1.4, but it's about 1/4 of the cost.

Image quality is superb. Build quality (on the current production unit, MKII) is, 2nd rate.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 50 1.8. It's a great lens for the price.

24. Your Own Disaster

Your Own Disaster New Member

is there a nikon equivalent to this?

25. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

:hsugh:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8