SRS Is talk about blowing your head off a cry for help/attention?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DiggityDogg, Oct 12, 2005.

1. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

I ask this because I don't get it. I'll never understand why someone would want to risk shooting themselves to end their life. I don't get suicide period, but when people talk about shooting themselves, do they generally mean it or is it simply a cry for help or for attention? Seriously... How messy.

My mom is a dispatcher for a police department and she had to have officers respond to an attempted suicide where the guy shot himself in the face, only he didn't kill himself, he just blew off half of his face. Sheesh. And also, what about the love ones left behind? Your depriving them of an open casket funeral as well... How selfish.

Are there any statistics on methods of suicide? I'm curious because I don't see why anyone would choose the method of shooting themselves, but so many people seem to talk about doing so. Personally, I don't get why people don't take some PM pills to get drowsy, go make a bed in the garage, and turn the car on with the door shut. You will simply go to sleep and never wake up. Painless, and not messy. This is what makes me think that when people talk about suicide by gunshot, that it really is a cry for help or for attention. But what do I know, I have no suicidal thoughts.

What do you think?

2. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Better to make the mistake of taking them seriously than to make the worse mistake of ignoring them.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Imagine that the water rises to your neck, now imagine that you are drowning and the water comes above your head. Imagine that the water represents problems, when people suffocate in the amount of problems and misery they have, they tend to grab to drastic measures. a cat in the narrow makes weird jumps they say, now a person who wants to commit suicide is totally self-absorbed by their problems, they don't want to hurt anyone else,they don't see even that they would hurt someone else , they think in the lines of (nobody loves me, and nobody would care if i died) which of course is false but they honestly don't see it.

4. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Suicide attempts are usually a cry for help. In my personal experience, when I threatened suicide at 18 years old, it was because I had no friends, no GF, no social skills, and no hopes for life.

Statisitcs show that men often use violent means to attempt suicide, and women use pills. Neither are 100% effective, or even close to it. My GF at the time had tried taking sleeping pills. She puked them up and they burned a hole in her stomach. She was in misery for months.

My personal opinion on folks who are suicidal is that they feel unloved, and it's probably because they do not have adequate social skills to meet men/women to be with. I personally think child molesters and rapists do that because they HAVE to - they cannot talk to women appropriately, they cannot get women interested in them, they cannot form loving relationships, the do not get sexual gratification... so they have to find targets and attack them. (Obviously this is not always the case, but I believe it could be in many cases.)

So, to me suicide says "Help me make more friends. Help me feel like I belong." Or something like that.

I say this because so often I meet people who have obsolutely NO social skills. Case in point: We went to Hechts last week to buy some dress shirts. The sales guy was nice and found what I wanted. Then when he was ringing me up, he started talking about the housing market crashing, and how there was some guru investor that could help people make millions, and he just went on and on. Even as we were mumbling "uh-huh" and walking away, he was following us talking non-stop. He was talking AT us, not with us. It was scary. He was scary. Had he used any tact whatsoever, it would have been different.

Now what do you think his approach to women is? The same? Do you think they get scared by that? Probably and probably. He's probably single, and that is sad. I can easily see him as the type to commit suicide, because he truly is an outcast.

That's my take on it...

5. rhiannon

rhiannon New Member

no matter what the reason is, talk like this should always be taken serious!! Maybe all they need is someone showing they care.. you may feel it's a selfish or cowardly act..but some people are in such despair at the time that they are BEYOND considering the consequences:rolleyes: ...and who the hell cares if the stupid casket is open or not...would it be better if he/she did it with pills so evryone at the Funeral Parlor could say " look how peaceful they look?"

6. EyesForTheSkies

EyesForTheSkies God made me funky...

i agree w/ the sentiment that it is a cry for help... people just want to see if they would cause a reaction... only a small percentage will actually attempt... but nevertheless every threat should be treated seriously...